What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Sphagnum growth

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I finally broke down and hacked back the moss. It was overgrowing the plants, spilling out of pots and was hard to keep watered since it was so tall. How long will it take to grow back to it's former glory? Looks ugly right now without the tops!

Aren't the lower layers pretty much dead (depending on how deep it is)? Pull out the lower layers and replace it with the stuff you hacked off. Put the lower stuff in a tub or something and see how it grows.

Nope, everything is still green pretty much. It wasn't THAT deep but it was starting to cover growth point, choke out Drosera and spill out of pots. It was like a big afro. I've already planted something else in the clippings.

I'll take pics later to show what it looks like.

You can always "seed" it with coarse chopped bits of the old top layer. It grows fairly quickly that way. You have to keep on top live Sphagnum because it truly grows exponentially. I started out with literally a pinch in my Darlingtonia seedling pots and they were overflowing in little over a month.

One writer says just to press it down.

You can basically treat the live in similar manner as one would attempt to propogate Utrics. Just start a little bit in several pots.

I can't even get LSM to live haha.

Yes, it does grow back very quickly. I think you got it pretty much covered.

Back