What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Rafflesiana Elongata snapped growth tip

Hey all. This is my Rafflesiana V. Elongata I just got recently. The growth tip was snapped along with some leaves during shipping. I left them on there in case the plant was able to pull its nutrients from the dying parts. I'm not sure if Neps can do this, but I know many other types of plants can. I originally posted this pic and inquiry under my introduction (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110042), but I think this area is probably more appropriate. How do you guys think it will turn out? It has a fairly extensive root structure, so I am thinking it should bounce back, but it looks pretty rugged. Any advice/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. (I got it about a week and a half ago, when the growth tip was still green and freshly snapped)

RaffVElongataBeatUp.jpg

Also, I have a couple other pics and questions in my introduction, so please feel free to give advice or any thoughts you guys might have.

-Daniel

As long as the growth point doesn't turn black, I dont think you should worry. something like this happened to my N macrovulgaris, and it's bouncing back.

I will say just give it a lot of water, put a couple of pellets of osmocote so it get a boost of energy and let them be for a while...

Im really sure it will recover, the nepenthes are strong plants, and as I see, if the root system is not damage it will recover with no problem.

I'm in agreement with everyone here so far. I think your plant will be fine. Just give it decent conditions and a good dosage of time, and I'm sure you'll see new growth eventually, whether it be in the form of a basal shoot developing or a dormant node deciding to awaken. Let's just say I've had Nepenthes bounce back when the odds were much worse!

Mnn~ the plant looks like fine.
Only a little dehydration.(leaf curl)
just enhance the air humidity, and put it on the bright place.
Do not let the sunlight direct beam.
I think your plant will recover quickly.:-D

Sweet... Thanks guys. Hey duckking, I think the curl is due to the leaf dying off. Those parts were the snapped parts. The humidity is usually always above 70%. Do you still think i should try to increase humidity even higher though? Thanks again for everyones input.

probably not. I'm sure it's fine where it is. I grow my raff gigantea in ~50%

don't wory about the brown splotches either. i had that on my raff gigantea after the windowsill transitions. Curled leaves was first, then they turned brownish gray like in the picture. And then it bounced back.

Thanks again for all the input guys, it is much appreciated. Hey phission, do you get a good amount of pitchers with 50% humidity?

-Daniel

Sweet... Thanks guys. Hey duckking, I think the curl is due to the leaf dying off. Those parts were the snapped parts. The humidity is usually always above 70%. Do you still think i should try to increase humidity even higher though? Thanks again for everyones input.

70% was good. 80% will be better.:)
High humidity can reduce nepenthes recover time.
but you must to notice airiness.
wish your rafflesiana can recover fast and fast.:-D

I get good amounts but they aren't as large as they would be in higher humidity. Like duckking said, higher humidity will also help them adapt to adverse conditions/recover from damage

Woot!. It bounced back :-D You can see a new leaf forming from the node just below the snapped off tip. Looks like you guys were right :D. Thanks again.

RaffElongataRecovery.jpg

That is great!

Now just give it some extra time and it will start growing new pitchers...

I get a similar experience with my bellii, I have to move the plant to a diferent place on the house and it get really bad, it lose all the leaves, and the grow tip die... I was really sad because this is my first nepenthes...

Well the fact is I dont give up on my plant, and now is doing great, it get a basal and is growing fast, each small leave have a micro pitcher, I hope for the begining of the next year my bellii be big enought to give me the satisfaction to see some nice size pitchers.

Watch the water on the leafs, I would not continue that, that is spelling disease and pathogen invites right out!

Hi Nepenthes,

Well, your plant has to contend with shipping shock, new environment AND physical damage. No problem!

However, patience will be the name of the game. It will probably start to look a little worse before it gets better - just keep it watered, and wait.

I had one nep that took over a year after it had a nasty shipping experience - then it finally took off and went gangbusters.

Hiya Daniel-

Any updated pics of your N. raff that came in with a damaged leaves and growth tip?

In your last pic it was forming a new leaf.

I too received a N. raff gigantea that was damaged during shipping. Snapped leaves and a broken growth tip, similar to yours.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110642

I'm hoping that it recovers like yours.

Happy Holidays and Good Growing,
Bo

Hey There Bo. I just saw your plant, and it looks like it should make a full recovery. Sometimes the larger plants have more problems recovering from stress, but if your roots are plentiful and healthy, and your conditions are good, it should make a nice recovery as mine did. Sorry if the pictures aren't prime, as my grow lights were off.

The pitchers are fairly light, but I am hoping that will change as the plant matures. Perhaps I will give it more light in my next setup. (I am going to be moving soon so no point in making a new enclosure right now).
RaffElongUpdWhole.jpg

A close up shot of the activated nodes.
RaffElongUpdClose.jpg

Watch the water on the leafs, I would not continue that, that is spelling disease and pathogen invites right out!

I forgot to say thanks for the advice :). I didn't keep it soaked like that, but I had just taken that pic after watering it.

I had one nep that took over a year after it had a nasty shipping experience - then it finally took off and went gangbusters.

LOL! Nepenthes x "Gangbuster". It just punks other neps for money while drinking it's juice and pimp slapping. :gulp:

WOW! I'm really impresed how good the plant has recover...

It have a looooott of pitchers and a good color!

Back