What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mexiPing's genetic relationships

hello
I've been growing Mexican butterworts for about 4 years now and I've had some crosses I've made grow to blooming size
, well my first cross was P.gigantea x P. reticulata
and the resulting baby's have turned out to be quite exciting
one has flowers that look and smell just like P.agnata "csuf" with a curious top petals fused , looking like a rabbits ears
makes up for loosing my U.sandersonii

and the others look to be more of a gigantea in appearance
it's very fascinating to see that some can take on these characteristics
also they do not have those small singular roots , but long and deep growing roots with the side roots almost like a bottle cleaner but much longer it's really cool to find this
comparing it to alot of other pigs who's roots are SMOOTH and short

what have other's found while growing those and
crossing them on your own ?
I'd love to hear from others on the subject of crossing and the resulting hybrids

I have several crosses and probably the most attractive of which is P. moctezumae x kohres:

IMG_0116.jpg

I have also found that the crosses flower more easily than straight up species.

What I don't have the knack for doing is actually having success with hand-pollinating. No matter how many times it is described in writing, with pictures of anatomical parts, all I end up with are butchered flowers. I basically need someone in person, to train me!

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m271/straus_2006/?start=all

awe
it's quite easy
what would be best is a flat tooth pick colored black with a permi marker , and a magnifying glass
just shove it in but hold a flash light or up to light so you can see the toothpick going in the flower from the side
when you pull it out lift up so as to scrape any pollen
and look with your magnifier
there will be pinhead size pollen grains left over
you want to look as closely as possible at the flower to find the ovary
and place the pollen there
it should be removed if you put it on the right spot
and you'll have a successful pollination

also dissecting a flower might orientate you on where exactly the proper pollen and ovary parts are located

Last edited:
I have both pieces of equipment but am not sure where the correct spot is. Guess I'll have to some experimenting. How long after a flower opens up is the pollen viable?

not sure
but i'll be saving some more soon
to find out

BTW, do you have a gowlist?

Back