What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tech Help!

I cant get my Media to work. I put in a DVD it wont work says i dont have the "hard ware needed" When ive watched DVD's on it before, I cant get the MP3's that are downloaded onto the computer!

I dont get it I dont see any Drivers that need to be updated, I restarted my computer, I installed all latest updates. I don tknow... Im running windows media! When i look for WMC Updates it says that its already running. ???

Im running Vista on a Toshiba thats not even a year old.

Every thing is up to date on my WMC.

When I try to Play an MP3-"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

I don't have any proxy settings, and my MP3's are stored right in the "music" section of my computer the folder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use wmc.. so i know nothing about that sorry... what if you just go to the music, and double click it? or right click it and tell it to play with a certain player?

Sorry about that Adnedarn I wasn't thinking just REALLY frustrated, its been almost a week since i haven't had music. Ive even tried opening it up in my Itunes, but it doesn't work their I think its Something on my computer I've turned off my fire wall. And tried it doesn't work, but A fire wall wouldn't stop my mp3's from playing.

No one has any suggestions on what I should do?

I dont know if this will work, but my computer lost it sound last week..
all of a sudden no sounds would play!
I tried playing a Mp3 and an error message popped up saying "no playback device found" or something like that..basically the computer thought it didnt have a soundcard!
no idea what brought it on.

(thsi is for Windows XP..dont know if this works with any other OS)

so I googled for ideas to try to fix it..found suggestion of going to "device manager" and seeing if the sound card and drivers show up..they did, and clicking on "properties" said "this device is working normally"...very strange..
so the sound card says its there and its feeling fine, just hanging out, same as always.. but the computer apparently isnt aware the sound card even exists!

So I found another suggestion that said to to uninstall the soundcard! (or its driver, im not clear on exactly what was being uninstalled!)

by going to:

Control panel.
sounds and audio devices
click on "hardware" tab
click on the soundcard.
click "properties"
click "driver"
click "uninstall"

then..this random help webpage said, reboot the machine, the machine should "detect" that hardware is missing, or something like that, it should REinstall the soundcard all by itself, and you should be good to go!

I dont know stuff like this..its a bit out out of my technical realm, but I tried it..uninstalled the sound card thingy (it was "Realtech '97" or something like that..I believe thats my soundcard)
rebooted..the computer came back up, said "new hardware has been found"..
totally fixed! sound works again.

Scot

I make Tech Videos on YouTube so hopefully I can help. It may be Vista acting up, I've had reports of this before. The disc could be scratched (if you are using one) or there could be something preventing it from running. Do you have any new software updates that are big as of recent?

I'll help more later, school right now. There are a ton of stuff I need to say but I really have to go. Sorry,

Thanks

NeciFiX

Every things up to date, and its all on the computer I have sound, and I can watch videos and stuff it just wont play the MP3's or videos.

to play DVDs u need an mpeg filter. There are a couple of things that u can do:

1) Get Bsplayer and check if the DVD infact works
2) if the thing works...then u know its media player that is related to the problem
3) then there are a couple of programs that can analyse missing codecs
4) if there are missing codecs, just get something like the K-lite mega codec pack

that should be it. :)

Well i went in to control pannel, clicked on Sound, and it said a driver enhancement was causing problems so it asked if I wanted to disable it and now it is working! Awesome!

Back