What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preying mantis

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
As I was watering my cold frame today. I discovered a preying mantis(d).
It was about 3 inches long with a brown overlay with green underneath, kinda like green racing stipes.
Isn't it kinda late for them to still be alive. we have had numerous freezing nights here in N. Calif.any way to know what sex it is jest from a casual look or do you have to do something specific to determine its sex?
Sorry no pc yet looking for my battery recharger.
Thanx in advance for any and all feedback.
Lois

Hey Lois. It IS very late in the season to find one in the wild. Consider yourself lucky. Since it is so late in the season and because all the males are usually dead by now, my best guess is that yours is a female.

To make sure, count the segments that make up the abdomen. If it has six, then it's female. If more than six, then it's a male. Don't expect it to live for much longer, though. If you are keeping it just feed it anything you can find outside (that is if you can find anything) or feed it feeder flies/crickets.

As for the species, well it could be a Satgmomantis sp....

Stagmomantis californica:

EHJHUH3H4HUZKLVZ7L1ZILUZ4LUZPHZR8H5ZGHPZLLOHSL5ZMH2ZRL1HLLCH9HLR8LAZSLBHZLPZSL8ZHL4ZRL.jpg

Stagmomantis limbata:

s_limbata5.jpg

Or the Chinese Mantid, Tenodera aridifolia. This species has the green stripe and is usually big for a mantis:
4LBZMLVZZLZRXH3HPH3HNHYHMLUZ7L9ZEHNZXLVZ6HRRWHTH4HDH7HFHXLLRILUZGL1ZUHLR5H2ZGLBZ2HZR2H.jpg

Or the European Mantis, Mantis religiosa:
800px-Mantid_August_2007-2.jpg

Hope this helps...

Hey thanx for the help.
it is definitely a Chinese one. I'll have to go see if i can find it again.I was jest letting it be "wild"
Thanx again for your help.
Lois

Back