What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

I was just wondering if nepenthes have dormancy.

Not that I am aware of.

Nope, "never". I could elaborate but it's much easier to just say no. Unless you have about 3 species (which I'm sure you don't) then no...and those 3 species don't really go dormant...more like a slow phase, but not real "dormancy". But like I said you don't have them so ignore that lol

Well Phission you could elaborate for people like me who don't know! I would like to know :p

They don't go dormant but they might slow down in growth and loose some of their pitchers
due to cooler temps, lower light and less humidity.

the only Nepenthes having a "dormancy" are, i think, N. burbidgeae, sp Cambodia and sp Viking. burbidgeae has the habit of just like....stopping growth. for up to a year! and the other two have thick roots and rhizomes to survive dry spells.

Alex

I wouldn't call that dormancy.

Sp. Cambodia is one sexy plant. Lowland, AFAIK. I want one.

hence why i put dormancy in quotes.

sexy indeed. i wonder how it would do as a wondowsill plant. the seedlings have been blindingly fast growing!! as in...like the the seedlings looks like actually nepenthes and not some alien life form.

Alex

Khasiana, sp. Viking, some SE Asian mirabilis forms, and rowaniae all have a "dormant" period in situ, though it's not necessary in cultivation. Like I said, it's not really a dormant period in the true sense where they save up energy blah blah blah. Because of the monsoon cycle, there is a period where they get very, very little water, and more or less stop doing anything until the wet season comes back. I don't know anything about sp. Cambodia so I can't comment, but I would venture to guess it would react the same.

Back