What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't laugh...

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
One would think that by now that I would have had American pitcher plant flowers. Last year I had an S. alata send up a scape, but the plant died. But this spring, the result of a recent trade, I have gotten / am getting 2 S. catesbei flowers, 2 S. Scarlet Belle, and of all things - a cobra lily.

What am I supposed to do to hand pollinate the 2 Scarlet Belles? And I don't suppose that I can do anything with the cobra lily without another one, right? Can't mix plant parts with a Saracenia?

Most likely the 'Scarlet Belle' need to be propagated vegetatively (e.g. divisions, cuttings or tissue culture) in order to keep their unique characteristics. You can hand pollinate but the offspring most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'

The Darlingtonia you might be in luck with because mine is flowering also. We can try a pollen exchange via mail if the flowers are ready within a reasonable time frame.

The cobra lily scape just emerged this week, so I guess it will a few days (?)... but yeah, that would be great!

Most likely the 'Scarlet Belle' need to be propagated vegetatively (e.g. divisions, cuttings or tissue culture) in order to keep their unique characteristics. You can hand pollinate but the offspring most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'

not "most likely will not be true 'Scarlet Belle'"
but absolutely, 100%, without any question whatsoever will NOT be 'Scarlet Belle'! :0o:

cultivars can only be propagated vegetatively in order to be considered the same cultivar.
anything from seed will not be the same cultivar..even if a plant from seed looks the same, it still cant be called the same cultivar name.

Scot

But you can still pollinate and get seed and plants.

xvart.

and AFAIK. you can self pollinate darlingtonia. congrats jim!

Alex

cultivars can only be propagated vegetatively in order to be considered the same cultivar.
anything from seed will not be the same cultivar..even if a plant from seed looks the same, it still cant be called the same cultivar name.

Scot

That's not entirely true. It depends on the cultivar. For instance the cultivar Drosera rotundifolia 'Charles Darwin' can be reproduced via self-pollinated seeds and retain its cultivar status and characteristics (namely not requiring dormancy in this case). You have to look at the what the cultivar registration says, and also whether or not the plant has be patented or trademarked as in the case of S. 'Cobra's Nest'. Some say "propagate vegetatively or by tissue culture", some also say "propagate vegetatively, by tissue culture or by seed."

And it has always been a matter of controversy since the ICRA rules are based on descriptions and do not require a sample of the plant or plants being registered. Due to this "loophole" it is possible to call plants with identical characteristics under the registered cultivar name. It all depends on how vague or specific the description is.

Hopefully this will change as the technique of genetic barcoding is being applied to plants.

In regards to S. 'Scarlet Belle':

Older pitchers can be removed to stimulate new growth and to maintain the plant’s esthetic balance. Reproduction should be done only vegetatively, i.e., by tissue culture, rhizome division, and leaf cuttings (if it works!).

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v32n1p24_27.html#belle

jimscott said:
The cobra lily scape just emerged this week, so I guess it will a few days (?)... but yeah, that would be great!
Jim - even better luck because mine just started this week too. Yes, you can self-pollinate them by hand but again the flowers are designed to reduce the chances of self-pollination. So you'd probably get a better seed set and more vigorous plants by cross pollinating.

Hi All:
Congratulations on your flower buds Jimscott!!!.:banana2:
I checked my Tarnok the other day (its in my moms semi-heated garage) and it has a flower bud!!!. Im not sure how old the plant is though. Im afraid to take it outside because it might freeze. Its still to cold here.

I looked at the 15 day forecast and although we have a few days whose overnight lows will be in the low 30's, I figure that's safe enough to get the planter of S. catesbei, cobra lily, oreophilla, scarlet belle, cobra's nest, and psitticina outside for direct sunshine. I'll get my minibog buckets back soon as well.

I opened the flower up and pulled the outer covering parts and then smooshed the two flowers together, in inglorious fashion. We'll see what happens.

Back