What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marytnia annua?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just received this type of Devil's Claw. Anybody have experience with it?

I haven't done much research on these - they're considered tropical so I'd keep them as warm and as well lit as possible through the germination phase. They're considered weedy and invasive in warm climates but you shouldn't have much problems growing them outdoors during the summer.

They're not considered quasi-carnivorous because they don't form the sticky coatings on leaves and stems, but the seed pods are neat.

Supposedly you can brew a tea from the fruit/pods to treat headaches.

A good source on Devil's Claws:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ww0801.htm

Thanks for the link - again! This was what I was after:

"The seeds may be planted in well-spaced basins or in rows 2-4 feet (1.2 m) apart, just as you would plant cucumbers or squash. You should plant the seeds in late spring when the soil is warm and there is no danger of frost. Soaking the seeds of Proboscidea parviflora ssp. parviflora in warm tap water appears to stimulate germination and increase the percentage of young seedlings. Seeds should be covered with a half inch (1.3 cm) of soil (preferably with a top layer of planter mix/mulch) and kept moist until germination. Annual devil's claw plants grow in a variety of soils, but thrive in rich loam soil with regular weekly soaking. They are very heat tolerant and their blossoms and foliage make an attractive mid-summer flower garden."

I like how invasive it is once it gets going. It's once it gets going part that I'd like to achieve! I'm gonna go with the warm tap water soak approach and see if can get things started.

Back