What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Nep's on Windowsills...

kath

Katherine
I would like to grow some more Nep's, but I am unsure if they would survive, so I was wondering if any Nep's can be grown on windowsill's?
I have several windowsills available to me, some of which I can use, but am trying not to, for some reason or another, but for the sake of getting Nep's, might use.
For the purposes of not getting confused, I will give each windowsill a number, and I'll keep a key at my end to identify them.

Please note: *All measurements done in celcius. (NZ Measurements-metric scale)
*Any humidity above 55% will be achieved by placing the Nep in a jar, or a jar
over the Nep, and suitable gaps to adjust the humidity supplied, this means,
unless indicated, the humidity will not vary at night, or has not yet been
checked to see if it does vary.
*If a jar is placed over the plant for humidity, reflective substance can be used
to reflect a further 50%-90% of the light back to the plant.

Windowsill #1

Light: Medium, very diffused sunlight. Personally I would rate it as the sort of light you'd get on a cloudy, overcast day. Diffused naturally by a lot of trees outside. Enough light to keep a Drosera Capensis alive, but not enough light to keep a Sarracenia flourishing. Gets light for 16 hours in summer, 10 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 20 degrees, minimum is 10 degrees.
In winter max is 15 degrees, minimum is 5 degrees.

Night Temperature: Summer: Temp drop of at least 5 degrees.
Winter: Temp drop of at least 8 degrees.

Windowsill #2

Light: Medium, very diffused sunlight. Personally I would rate it as the sort of light you'd get on a cloudy, overcast day. Diffused naturally by a lot of trees outside and a hill. Enough light to keep a Drosera Capensis alive, but not enough light to keep a Sarracenia flourishing. Gets light for 15 hours in summer, 11 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer the max is 20 degrees, minimum is 10 degrees.
In winter the max is 15 degrees, minimum is 3 degrees.

Night Temperature: Summer: Temp drop of at least 8 degrees.
Winter: Temp drop of at least 10 degrees.

Windowsill #3

Light: Bright, undiffused light when it is sunny. Personally, when it is sunny I would rate it as bright, lightly clouded light, when it is dull, which is most of winter, I would rate it as overcast, with quite a bit of cloud break (it's brighter than the previous two windowsills).
Gets light for 10 hours in summer, 8 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 28 degrees, minimum is 18 degrees.
In winter max is 15 degrees, minimum is 3 degrees.

Night Temperature:Summer: Temp drop of at least 8 degrees.
Winter: Temp drop of at least 12 degrees.

Windowsill #4
Note: This is one I'd rather not use.

Light: Very bright, warm light. Undiffused. Personally I would rate it as a warm, sunny day. Gets light for 15 hours in summer, 12 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 30 degrees, minimum is 22.
In winter max is 28 degrees, minimum is 22.

Night Temperature: Summer: 2-5 degrees drop.
Winter: 5-8 degrees drop.

Windowsill #5
Note: I don't mind using this one as much.

Light: Bright, undiffused light, or diffused light. Also has a lot of natural reflection. Personally I would rate it as very bright sunlight- 40W. 15 hours in summer, 12 hours in winter.

In winter max is 24 degrees, minimum is 22.

Windowsill #6

Light: Bright, undiffused light, or diffused light. Personally I would rate it as very bright sunlight. 14 hours in summer, 11 hours in winter.

In winter max is 24 degrees, minimum is 22.

Windowsill #7

Light: Bright, very diffused light. Diffused by patterned glass. Personally I would rate this as lightly cloudy day. 12 hours in summer, 10 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 25 degrees, minimum is 18.
In winter max is 22 degrees, minimum is 10.

Night Temperature: Summer: 5-10 degrees drop.
Winter: 10-15 degrees drop.

Windowsill #8

Light: Bright, very diffused light. Diffused by patterned glass. Personally I would rate this as lightly cloudy day. 12 hours in summer, 10 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 25 degrees, minimum is 18.
In winter max is 22 degrees, minimum is 10.

Night Temperature: Summer: 4-9 degrees drop.
Winter: 6-11 degrees drop

Note: Relative room humidity in this room will be higher than normal, around 70% without anything else, and due to it being a bathroom, if left uncovered, the humidity will sometimes rise to 90%. It will also drop slightly at night, by up to 10%

Windowsill #9

Light: Bright, undiffused light. Personally I would rate this as a bright sunny day. 12 hours in summer, 10 hours in winter.

Day Temperature: In summer max is 25 degrees, minimum is 16.
In winter max is 20 degrees, minimum is 10.

Night Temperature: Summer: 4-10 degrees drop.
Winter: 6-15 degrees drop

So those are my windowsills. If need be I can probably dredge up 10 or so other one's, if I ask my nana and Brent, but i'll start with these one's! :)

i grow my n. 'miranda', n. x ventrata, n. rafflesiana, and my n.ampullaria on a windowsill. My window would probably be the same as #4. Humidity is about 50% and temperature is about 21 degrees. My rafflesiana and ventrata are making 1 pitcher each a month. My ampullaria has been growing a single pitcher for 3 months. And my miranda refuses to pitcher. I'm going to take the plants outside once it warms up.

Wsindow sills 4-6 are your best candidates. Room temp and higher with decenet lighting and almost equatorial photoperiod.

Here's mine from a couple years ago, on a window sill:

IMG_0007-1.jpg

IMG_0008-1.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Ok. Are there no Nepenthes types that would grow on 1,2,3,7,8 and 9? If not do you know of any other carnivorous plants that would?
I just found out 7 is actually more like six, but in winter it will have more night time temperature drop.
Just as a warning, windowsills 4,5,6, and 9 are extremely bright, as in I'm actually going to grow a heliamphora on one.

Temperate sundews and butterworts should be fine in those conditions. I had my pygmy sundews and Mexican butterworts in an unheated stairway that has two windows, all year round. Temps got as low as the 50's F and into the 80's F in the summer. I also opened the window so that it was screened in the summer. That let in enough sunlight to turn the butterworts pink.

Back