What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! What did I find?

• Thread starter rabajohn
  • Start date
Hi! This is my 1st visit to this site & forum. I found a plant? or Fungi? a few months ago in a field near an oil well about 10 miles south of Marshall, Texas. I will do my best to describe it. It was a lone specimen sticking out of the grass alongside an oil tank. It was about 5" tall, maybe 1/2" to 5/8" at its widest diameter. It was tubular and the most striking thing about it was that it had either 5 or 6 "tentacles" on top. They looked just like octopus tentacles. They were a pink or rosy color and about a 1/2" long. At the tentacle's base it turned a grey/brown color and were sticky looking. After handling the "Whatzit", I realized a very powerful dead carcass smell was on my fingers. Any idea what this was? I had never seen anything quite like this anywhere in my 51 years. The suspense is killing me. Please, help ID this for me. Thanks! Randall J.

Very neat. I bet that's it. Those things look like marine polyps or something.

Hey, guys! Thanks for your replies. I did a lot of searching through the links, etc. that you gave me but have not nailed the plant yet. The aseroe rubra is very similar but not quite. It may be a close cousin. Every time I return to the area I found the specimen in, I look around to see if there is another one. If I do spot another one, I WILL photograph it and post it here, for you guys. Thanks again! Randall

Back