What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ID Needed

Hi, I just wanted to know what Nepenthes I have in my room.
DSCF0196.jpg

I dont know whether there is several plants growing here or what
DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

Its supposed to be an alata, but looks nothing like the tab

It looks like N. rafflesiana to me...

Cheers,

Joe

I agree with Joe that it looks like a N. rafflesiana.

Hmm, the fuzz on the leaves seems more to me like one of the old Victorian hybrids, like N. chelsonii; let's see what it looks like in a year or so. - Rich

do you live in the UK? a plant being sold in that same pot has turned out to be N. hookeriana (rafflesiana x ampullaria)

Alex

I thought it looked like N. hookeriana too Alex.

Maybe?

I was thinking N. hookerina, too. Can we get a side shot of the pitcher?

xvart.

soil looks rather wet, keep it moist not soggy, it reminds me of a rafflesiana. It's probably a lowlander and it needs higher humidity along with little to no drop in night time temperature.

It's funny that it's labeled as a N. alata and has a picture of a N. ventrata on the tag, and the plant looks like neither.

xvart.

soil looks rather wet, keep it moist not soggy, it reminds me of a rafflesiana. It's probably a lowlander and it needs higher humidity along with little to no drop in night time temperature.
I water it every 2-4 days, I only just watered it as I took the picture .I water it from the top, untill the water starts coming out the bottom. It is in my room, it gets almost no sunlight, and the temp is around 13c. it stays like that no change. No humidity, and yet its thriving. Growing faster than the one in my kitchen which gets some filtered sunlight ???
How big will it grow to? I dont particularly want a small nepenthes:-( And, is there serveral plants growing in there?

as far as I know there are only a few neps that do not get big. Some get bigger than others faster though. I wish I could find a nep like that listed at alata at the local garden center. I would buy it. Not sure what it is but looks nice and it surely is not what is on the label.

I agree that it could very well be N. hookeriana. Still, not a bad plant! - Rich

Thanks, is it a highlander or lowland? Not that it matters as it does really well in my room :)

That would be a lowlander, as both parents (N. rafflesiana and N. ampullaria) are both lowlanders. N. hookeriana is a natural hybrid of these two plants. - Rich

I had another thought....
There are two companies distributing tc neps, that I know of. Agristarts has sanguinea, rafflesiana, ventricosa, Judith Finn and I think, madagascariensis.
The company that produces the mislabled N. alata tc neps(DeRroose) in The Netherlands, also produces some others, including Miranda, Gentle and....Coccinea. It did not make me think of a Coccinea, but seeing who the label is from and what they make...what do you think?

http://www.derooseplants.com/en/select_plant_search_results.asp?searchtype=commercial

Hope this is okay posting this, as it's a wholesaler only. Also, IIRC, their tobaica is also wrong. I think the thought was(last I heard) that is was a khasiana hybrid.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:
It looks similar to a small N. x Trichocarpa...

To me at least.

Dear members, it's confirm to be a N. hookeriana, as i'm keeping one myself

Heres a photo of mine, must be the same one as mine looks the same and also says N.atlanta

Atlanta.jpg

Thats deffinately a Hookriana..

I have one but it didnt come from any of those TC growers, mine came from another member on TF. Mine seems to be taking after the amp more ??? its staying more compact with LOADS of pitchers. Hookriana is by far my most fav nep..:-D

Back