What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss Lake 2008(lots a photos)

Hey guys, visited moss lake again this year. Was great as always and took lots of pics this year, hope you enjoy

MossLake066.jpg

The boardwalk
MossLake008.jpg

The lake itself
MossLake004.jpg

MossLake003.jpg

MossLake032.jpg

One of the inlets
MossLake001.jpg

These where the huge carpets of floating live spag moss/peat moss that are located off the shoreline
MossLake036.jpg

MossLake034.jpg

Time for the good stuff
S. purpurea
MossLake052.jpg

MossLake057.jpg

MossLake042.jpg

MossLake021.jpg

MossLake020.jpg

MossLake019.jpg

These things get pretty big...

MossLake011.jpg

Lots of smaller dews including D. rotundifolia and another unknown, was very dark red with skinner leaves than the rotundifolia...
MossLake015.jpg

MossLake012.jpg

MossLake023.jpg

MossLake048.jpg

Unknown utric I belive
MossLake026.jpg

MossLake030.jpg

All in all it was a great day with great weather, im sorry for all the pics too lol...

Thankyou for posting that!

cool, wish i had some floating sphagnum....

D. rotundifolia and D. intermedia, if I had to guess.

Great pics!

Wow very nice! That lake looks sooo inviting, I just want to dive in!

U. subulata??

What a beautiful area! There is just nothing better than seeing "our" plants growing in the wild! :)

Now that's how CP's should look!

Lovely pictures! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Hi Jayson, I was wondering where this moss lake is in NY? When I am around in NY I have been visiting a lot of the bogs to see the CP's in the wild, and this place looks really neat, I think I will try and pay it a visit if It is close enough.

Up to this point some of my favorites were Zurich bog, Bog river flow, and Lens lake, although the pitcher plant populations at this place look incredible!

I was just at chubb pond about four weeks ago, and there were a few nice groups of pitchers there, I will try and put those up If I can find where I saved them to.

Hey man, glad you got to make it down there. It really is a beautiful place. Did ya see the catfish? ;)

-Ben

I'd like to get in there with some equipment to harvest sphagnum moss. Don't worry; I'll do it sustainably and, after the place has sustained all the harvest it can, we'll call it Mud Lake.

santanoni- Moss lake is located in Houghton, NY, near richmond lake.

Hey Ben, I did see the hundreds of catfish but was to busy takin pics of plants. You have any clue what that utric is?

Thanks guys, hope you enjoyed.

Nah I'm not sure, but it's def. not U. subulata. U. subulata is much smaller.

I'm thinking maybe U. striata. Although, I didn't see Utricularia flowers any of the times that I was there, so I won't really know exactly how the flowers and leaves look. I'm looking through Schnell's CP book and that looks pretty close.

-ben

Thanks for looking Ben, maybe this pic will help....
MossLake031.jpg

Ok, I've looked through the book a bit more thoroughly, and now I know what it most likely is. But, I'll say first what it isn't:

U. foliosa
U. geminiscapa
U. macrorhiza
U. inflata
U. radiata
U. gibba
U. floridana
U. striata
U. minor
U. intermedia
U. ochroleuca
U. simulans
U. subulata

I decided this based on native growing range and flower and leaf shape.

Now it can either be U. cornuta or U. juncea. Schnell says that U. cornuta only blooms in spring, except for a part in Florida, although that would only be in November or January. He says that U. juncea blooms in late summer or autumn, which is what these plants are doing.

Actually, I was gonna say it's U. juncea, but Jayson when did ya take those pics?

Lol yeah I spent like a half hour on this. :crap:

-Ben

Back