What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Direct tv or dish network?

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
What do you suggest anyone that has one? Are they good in storms or anything happen to you?

I have Direct TV, but it usually loses signal in strong rains. I had signal when a hurricane came once. I'm not sure about the Dish Network, though.

I also have DirecTV and as soon as it rains it goes bye bye!

I have hacked both I mean had both before and by far I liked Dish network better. The PPV line up is better and I like the box setup better.

I never really had an issue with them going out, but a few times and that was direct. My Dishnetwork rarely went out. It was mainly because of the tree growing where I had my dish. Trimmed it and was fine.

Back when DirecTV had a deal with Tivo and you could get an HD, two-tuner, sattelite box with Tivo built in, that was the best. Now it's just whoever has the package that works best for you. In any case, I vastly prefer satellite to cable.

Capslock

cable is slower than dish, but dish goes away in a storm

cable is slower than dish? What are you talking about upper? The programming is virtually the same. Not following you there. I just preferred Dish over Direct because of how the receivers functioned, and they seemed to have better PPV selection, but they both have on demand now I think. So Caps is correct whatever floats your boat as far as a package. I think I liked dish's packages better too. From what it looked like you could get with the different packages.

If you have a stable place to mount the dish and it is not a hurricane coming through, it really is not as bad as it is made out to be as far as loosing signal. the key is having it mounted on a stable area of the house.

The dish people say they spary something on the dish so rain just runs off it so they claim nothing will happen in a storm. The thing with cable is that they just keep raising the price and what do thay offer in return? They would not get the NFL network to start with. So it's time to get a dish.

cable is slower than dish? What are you talking about upper? The programming is virtually the same. Not following you there. I just preferred Dish over Direct because of how the receivers functioned, and they seemed to have better PPV selection, but they both have on demand now I think. So Caps is correct whatever floats your boat as far as a package. I think I liked dish's packages better too. From what it looked like you could get with the different packages.

If you have a stable place to mount the dish and it is not a hurricane coming through, it really is not as bad as it is made out to be as far as loosing signal. the key is having it mounted on a stable area of the house.

my cousin got dish and i got time warner cable.
i can flip through the channel like nothing on the dish, but i gotta wait like 5 second to change to each channel on mine.

oh ok guess it depends on the company.

We have Direct TV, now the only reason we have them is we cant get any other dish to work out here in the woods due mainly to the trees no where for Dish Network to get a signal, anyways Direct TV gives us a better deal and we get more channels than what we would get with Dish Network. As for losing signal yup we do to at times of real bad storms be it summer or winter but we just spray some Pam cooking spray on the dish and it keeps it going pretty good till the Pam finaly wears off, then we just re spary..:-D

I don't have satellite but I've heard it loses signal a lot.

PAK That is a myth. As long as it was not a shotty job installing the dish. I had it for many years and I installed it myself so I know it was good. If it is on an unstable structure sure the wind will blow it off the signal very easy, but if it is installed properly and secure it is not as bad as some people and the cable company makes it sound.

As I said before my issue was a tree growing in the way. I rarely had issues with a storm. It had to be a very big storm.

Back