What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ephippiata

elsantaclause

A windowsill grower
Hey guys I was wondering how you guys are doing growing Nepenthes ephippiata? I want to get this plant but not sure how low the temps have to be at night and how hard it is?

thanks

Hey guys I was wondering how you guys are doing growing Nepenthes ephippiata? I want to get this plant but not sure how low the temps have to be at night and how hard it is?

thanks

I treat N. ephippiata like any other highland Nepenthes and it is fairly easy to cultivate, though it seems to like cooler nights. In CA, it generally drops into the fifties at night and it seems to be doing nicely with those Tbs . . .

thanks
This is one of the three plants which I boughta and killed through noob stupidity. The other two being Rajah and Ramispina.
It needs to be cool at night for it to to do well. I'd say around 60. Shouldn't be to hard where you are. And it does not like low humidity...I had to trade it away because of that...and it also seemed to be sensitive to lack of air circulation. It was the first to get moldy and rot in my terrarium (I was a really bad Nep grower). For me this was a very tricky plant.
Still, if you can grow Glabrata well it shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Ok cool, My sibuyanensis x hamata is starting to inflate pitchers and my Glabrata is going to pitcher soon also I think but I just wanted to be sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok cool, My sibuyanensis x hamata is starting to inflate pitchers and my Glabrata is going to pitcher soon also I think but I just wanted to be sure

Edit: Point has expired.

I thought we were allowed to do that in Pm's because they're not monitored? I just thought that we couldn't say the vendor in public.

lol hold on elsanta ive got yah. Ephippiata is relatively easy in comparison to Lowii which is its close cousin, and is a faster grower, The pitchers are almost identical, but the Ephippiata lowers are tubbier and have a domed lid. The uppers dont have as much of a waist as Lowii either. but it is still nearly identical.

I thought we were allowed to do that in Pm's because they're not monitored? I just thought that we couldn't say the vendor in public.

Yes, but publicly asking for pm's is essentially the same thing; it wouldn't make much sense at all otherwise. Therefore, all posts have been edited accordingly.

xvart.

thanks xvart I get the rules now =)

Maybe others don't have this problem, but my ephippiata seems to need a fair bit of light. An East facing window just isn't getting it done, although my other neps, including a glabrata, do O.K..

Maybe others don't have this problem, but my ephippiata seems to need a fair bit of light. An East facing window just isn't getting it done, although my other neps, including a glabrata, do O.K..

what night time temps do you give it and whats the humidity night and day?

give it typical highland temps elsanta, nights in 50s or low 60s if it is not possible to get cooler than that. Humidity should be kept relatively high to get nice pitchers, but i dont see why it couldnt grow as windowsill plant

what night time temps do you give it and whats the humidity night and day?

Nighttime temps range from high 50s to low 70s. Usually in the mid to low 60s. Daytime humidity is around 60-65% nighttime is between 70-85% or perhaps somewhat higher. These are summer temps and humidity of course.

Thats almost exactly the same as mine except my day time temps drop to around 50%-60% in the day and 90%+ at night. But my night temps are usually in the mid 60s never below but sometimes in the high 60s. But this is summer temps

Its Finally Here!!

So yea my ephippiata finally came:-D It was just imported so its kind of small

Well here it is =)

P9150012.jpg

P9150013.jpg

They look cute IMO

Can't wait for this little guy to grow bigger.

Whatever tips you got I'm all ears:bigthumpup:

hehe, its cute. id keep the baggy over it for a couple of days to acclimate it (otherwise you might end up with a dead growthtip and have to wait for an activated node) since it was just imported, it hasnt been hardened off.

How long should the plant be put in the baggy for?

A couple/several weeks.

N. ephippiata is a great plant. This is one of my favorite pictures I took of mine:

Nephippiata4-42608.jpg

xvart.

awesome close-up pic. Can't wait for mine to grow to that size.

Back