What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random question, buuuut...

Exactly why do people like to use those mesh plastic pots for neps? Is it for drainage, or something more?

It also keeps the substrate more airy.

I first tried it because I had plants that were getting really big and I had had poor luck with potting Neps in normal large pots. I had several plants each of two varieties and having them in individual pots was a hassle, as well as a waste of terrarium space. I wanted to see if I could leave them on my racks outside of a terrarium, and I also wanted to see if I could keep them in wet trays so that I wouldn't have to check the moisture daily. It's worked really well - as far as I'm concerned it's the only way to fly, and I buy net pots whenever I see them at garden stores so that I have a stock for plants that get big enough. I've even potted several seedlings into 10" pots because they were slow growers that appreciate overpotting. Net pots and slatted wooden pots are often used in orchid culture, and it seems that many orchid growing techniques are applicable to Neps as well. (Which makes sense, as they hail from similar environments.)
~Joe

i am switching to these i just decided haha
10"?- that's intense.

Hmmm jar, where do you find these pots at?! I see em online, but never in stores, I've been wanting to switch to these pots for awhile.

Lowes' and Home Depot have them fairly consistently. Ace too, but Ace is always more expensive.
~Joe

thanks!

Back