What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A "war" I can finally get behind?

There's a new show coming up on Animal Planet starting Friday called "Whale Wars", documenting the evil and nefarious commies known as Greenpeace (new aspect as "Sea Shepherd"). As you all know, I support such horrible things as Saving the Whales, the Trees, the Owls and all that other "silly stuff" that gets in the way of progress & accumulation of holy capital.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to the series and I'm sure some of you aren't! :-D

Oh yeah, I saw a preview for that, looks awwwwesommmme. I can't wait for the premier either, looks like it'll be great!

I'm going to record it I can't watch it when my dad is around he's not to fond of greenpeace type things and he thinks it's ok for whalers to kill them I can't agrue with him or he'll explode he has anger issues and he might punch another hole in the wall or another one in a door. :-))

Here's some information on them
http://www.highnorth.no/library/movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm

1992: Sea Shepherd makes unsuccessful attempts at ramming three Costa Rican fishing vessels. In a written complaint to the local authorities the fishermen report that the Sea Shepherd crew shot at them with bullets containing a red substance, hitting two of them and causing them great pain.

Hmm bullets containing red substance sounds like a paint gun or something else I dunno..

Here's some information on the ocean the whalers are in..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ocean_Whale_Sanctuary

Japan has continued to hunt whales inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary because its whaling is done in accordance with a provision in the IWC charter permitting whaling for the purposes of scientific research
Oh come on Scientific research!? :headwall:

I hope the Sea Shepherd is successful in their mission I'd hate to see the whalers win..

Hooray for the eco-terrorists!! Hooray!!!!! You guys rock!!

errr. . . . . I mean "freedom fighters". . . . . ummmm, "insurgents"??

Or whatever title makes us feel good about ourselves is fine I guess...

Where do third-world Costa Rician fishing families get off trying to live off the sea?? Everyone know that animals and the environment come before humans anyway. sheesh!!

Wow Blue, I'm sorry you have to live with that... How much longer are you going to be stuck at home? My old man was an angry alcoholic who acted the same way. Since he's quit drinking for a decade + now, he's much better to be around but still has some of that irrational anger over other peoples opinions and silly little things he can't do anything about. I've finally overcome my own anger problems that had stuck with me since high school and my dads alkie days. Now I do my best not to let anything phase me into anger anymore - not even Fryster - lol! :-D j/k Fry!

My trick is to make a joke out of something that bothers me. The more outrageous and sarcastic the joke gets the more the topic actually bothers me. But it seems that if I can laugh in the face of something that I don't like, it doesn't "get my goat" like it used to and the irritant is immediately forgotten instead of becoming a part of me (a grudge) that I have to drag around. Not only does being angry all the time make life miserable it's bad for your health (heart, blood pressure, digestion, etc). It does get worse for you the older you get too I've found out. If you find yourself getting into the same rages as the old man does, start working on that stuff now before it gets much harder to tame.

...Sorry none of that was really even near "on topic".

Tree-hugging, dirt-munching druid signing off! ;)

Well since he's been a alcoholic for a long time and he's been really depressed since his dad died 10 years ago or so I forgot, last year both my white boxer and my mom's boxer died from old age and my mom's from leukemia which that put him over the edge he stoped working and was drinking at 11:00 am till he went to sleep.

He's been taking pills for his depression which it started to make him get even worse where he lost his ballance almost fell off the deck luckily my mom caught him the same time he tried going downstairs, but he fell down luckily he didn't hurt himself bad and a few months ago he took about 70 or so of his pills I forgot what kind of pills, but they don't mix well with booze after that my mom finally put her foot down and told him if he were to drink any beer or any type of alchohol he'd have to leave or we'll leave it's been months since he's drank anything he started out begging my older brother for his beer, but he's finally over it, but he's still not 100% better he's still really depressed and he bugs my mom pretty much every day to get a puppy saying he'll be normal if we get one thing is we don't have enough money for one or the time to train and take care of it yet, plus he said he'd be much happier and better if we moved into the house we are in now thing is all he does now if sleep, eat and goes to the garage to smoke he never goes outside to enjoy the 16 acre yard he wanted so much only me, my mom, and my older brother enjoys it.

::On Topic::
It'll be showing tomarrow can't wait to see I agree their methods are a bit drastic, but this stuff defending the whales is ok I dunno I'm just against this stuff it seems kinda hard to believe they need all those whales for research..

I'm just against this stuff it seems kinda hard to believe they need all those whales for research..

The fact the whales are eaten afterwards might give you some clues about the validity of the 'research'.

documenting the evil and nefarious commies known as Greenpeace (new aspect as "Sea Shepherd"). As you all know, I support such horrible things as Saving the Whales, the Trees, the Owls and all that other "silly stuff" that gets in the way of progress & accumulation of holy capital.

I'm not too keen on GreenPeace's global warming angle, but I think your post sounds like tripe (no pun intended).

its kind of on the police canine level for me

I think your post sounds like tripe
Sorry you don't agree with my opinions on protecting the environment that's fine to have a different opinion though I wouldn't actually call it "tripe" cos it's different than mine. I just happen to like this earth and the things living on it so a show on environmental activism has me excited, much more than another season of some docudrama or game show.

If you're saying that I was being too sarcastic, I was just trying to beat the nay sayers to the cause. I already know it isn't very popular to be pro-GreenPeace or pro-Peta around here but I don't care, I am who I am. No one has to watch the show you know. This post was really intended for people like me who might like to see it but didn't know about it. Once again, tomorrow night, check AP for times.

Lord of tripe headin' out! ;)

I've seen the commercials. I'd like to see it.

i don't wanna watch that show, i dont wanna ever see any living thing die or suffer(or do they show that kinda stuff?)

i like swords that you think protecting the environment is a good thing, for a while i thought i was the only here that thought so.

I don't really know what the show, will show. The ads only show Sea Shepherds chasing down whalers. I've been against whaling ever since I was a kid and in one of my Ranger Rick magazines showed a "sea" full of blood and dead whales (or perhaps porpoises) that had been killed and were being 'processed' into commercial goods. The same issue also discussed baby harp seal clubbing, not seals going out to rave dances but being beaten to death with wooden clubs. It was all a strong visual for a 5 year old to absorb but that made an imprint on me that's lasted a lifetime.

The fact the whales are eaten afterwards might give you some clues about the validity of the 'research'.

I know they're eaten I have a friend who lived in Japan for five years he ate some whale sashimi I forgot what he said it tasted like I think he said it was sorta like beef sashimi or something like that..

I dunno I seen footage of people netting dolphins with blood stained water and dolphins caught in tuna nets as a kid so I don't like that stuff I used to go to Marine Life oceanarium in Mississippi it's no more since it got destroyed in the hurricane also I'd see dolphins play on the way to ship island they'd follow the boat and when we were leaving there was some baby and adult dolphins swimming and playing I care for the earth and I just don't like things like this, but I respect other peoples opinions on things so I'll leave it at that..

having been in on the butchering of hundreds of animals from doves, rabbits and chickens all the way up to beef and elk, all i have to say is if its legal and the meat is being used i dont have a problem with it......dont see any difference in killing a whale to eat and make products out of than i do a cow so long as its legally done.......same with harp seals........

premiers tonight!

Sorry you don't agree with my opinions on protecting the environment

Greenpeace ≠ protecting the environment. I agree with their goals, but how they achieve them borders on the fringe. They may do the environmental movement more image harm than anything else.

no the only thing wrong with what they are doing is they are going into other countrys waters and killing whales... they can do it in their own waters, even though its wrong.... its appart of their culture...

@rattler: The difference is that unlike with cows or deer, whaling is a significant threat to the already diminished population. The whale population today is something like 10% of what it used to be, and not all because of whaling but also because of climate swings, development of breeding grounds, etc. The whales the Japanese kill are a threatened species and protected in every other country except for Japan -- where, unfortunately, there seems to be a good number of them.
If whales went extinct, the effect on the oceans would be devastating. Without whales (which consume massive amounts of krill), the krill population goes waay up, causing the phytoplankton (which krill eat) to decline. phytoplankton is the bottom of the food chain, so every animal that eats the phytoplankton and every animal that eats the animals that eat the phytoplankton are affected. Kill a deer, and there are always more. They're in no danger of becoming extinct at the present, and there are laws limiting the number you can kill per year (I think; you would know.) The whaling off the coast of japan is unregulated slaughter.

@NepAK: Unfortunately you're right. It's perfectly legal for the Japanese to whale as long as it's for so called "scientific" purposes. But if you ask me no "scientific purpose" is important enough to risk wiping out an entire group of threatened whale species. As for "It's part of their culture," I don't know about you but I don't want to see whale species go extinct so the Japanese can keep their cultural traditions. They can eat venison, pork and beef like everyone else!

you evidently have no clue what the show is about as the Japanese are going after whales off of Antarctica, not Japan.....they are in international waters, there for international laws should apply so unless they are breaking international law i dont see an issue.....if the whales are CITES listed i can see an issue, if not......well dont see how its different from killing a deer.......

I agree with Nepfreak there.

The only part that is touchy for me is the traditional part of it. I greatly respect rights of cultural traditions, yet there comes a time when modern day realism (reality) must finally encroach on our fantasy worlds of "tradition". Traditions = fantastic ideals, not always realistic ideals. Especially in the sense that a species is threatened with extinction it's time to wake up and do something constructive if they intend to keep any semblance of their whaling tradition for much longer. When there again appears to be a surplus of whales perhaps limited hunting can be reinstated and carefully monitored so such a depletion never again occurs. Not a lot wrong with that from a practical standpoint, as it's done with numerous species. At least that's the most realistic and achievable goal to the whole "tradition" argument I can come up with, which saves both the whales and ultimately the tradition.

My antithesis of hunting (any creature) is merely my own emotions over infliction of pain and death on another conscious being. Though I was a vegetarian years ago I do eat meat nowadays. However, I can guarantee you that if I had to kill it myself I would not be a meat eater. So, thank the gods for Rainbow Foods and Cook's Corned Beef! lol! ;)

Back