What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ignore your pots!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Depending upon where plants are placed on the rack, some I see more readily than others. So some plants get far more (or less) attention than others. Today I decided to to pull out my D. jacobyi pot and see if any seeds from a previous flower did anything. Well it turns out that there are several seedlings in there. Then I pulled out the D. sessilifolia. It was "wall-to-wall" seedlings, surrounding the clump of plants. A pot of U. dichotoma has at least 4 sundews in it and they appear to be D. rotundifolia. Amazing what happens when you ignore your pots. Now to coax my daughter into borrowing her camera!

The problem is that seeds get all over the place and you won't know what's in the pot for sure until they grow up. You can make some educated guess though.

Several of my CP friends will remark on finding stuff they forgot about or gave up for dead in seldom visited areas of their greenhouse shelves and benches. It's always a treat.

Don't ignore them when you're expecting five inches of rain overnight. I woke up this morning and all of my recent Sarr divisions were upside-down since I filled the bottoms with perlite for drainage.
~Joe

I've had that before - but with Mexican pings. Plants and leaves were scattered all over the place and most eventually died from that experience. I was mainly referring to the indoor pots. Here's a "Heinz 57":

DSCF1747.jpg

I think the rounded leafed plants up against the NW side of the pot are also D. rotundifolia, now that I can look at the pot from above, with a magnifying glass.

And I see what appears to be 4 D. rotundifolias in a pot of U. dichotoma, as well as long lost P. lusitanica thriving in a pot of U. calcyfida. As to the old saying about a "chicken in every pot", about the same could be said for a capensis in every pot. I used to get burmannii and spatulata and binata showing up in pots that had no logical reason for doing so.

I hope to borrow my daughter's camera soon and show ya what I mean.

Back