What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Rajah Cultivation

Hi members!

As some of you know that I made my own little mini terrarium.....And so i was thinking on getting a N rajah for it...Why i choose this one because its a very slow grower and doesn't need much light....And i'm not sure if i can provide the perfect conditions in my littl terrarium....So heres the temp in my terrarium.I cool it down around after 10p.m

Day temp= 25-27C/77-80.6F

Night temp after 10+=13-16C/55.4-60.8F

In ther morning before i take the bottles out
=18C/64F

Humdity i'm not to sure but should be high enough since i can see condensation on my transparent plastic.

So anyone here who has experience with this guys think these conditions are OKAY?

Ken

sounds like it would be fine kent, rajah isnt an ultrahighlander anyway. mid 50s to low 60s should be ok

Hi

Thanks for the help.......Some stuff just happen so quick......Just this morning i was thinking on getting a N rajah and by today i called up a local nursery and his selling it to me for RM35....plus postage and all rm40 which will all add up to around 11$.....11 dollars huh.....quite cheap.

Ken

You gonna transplant it after you get it? if so, what soil mix will you use?

Rajah have kind of an extensive root system and should be planted in pots slightly larger than the plant itself.

Will you be planting it "in" the terrarium or stick its pot in the terrarium? Rajah like good drained soil to prevent root rot so it is reccomended that you dont plant it in the terrarium.

It would be a good idea to get a cheaper humidity measurer just in case, i've heard rajah are picky plants. Too much humidity would prevent the plant from "breatheing" and too little could dry out the plant. Somewhere between 70-90% is should be good.

What kind of light will you use, windowsill light or artificial flourescent lighting?

Your day and night temperatures sound good.

I've been growing a Rajah for what seems like a few weeks, it grew okay for a while but recently stopped growing probly due to transplant shock or low day temperatures.

Hi evergreen

The guy which is selling to me is sending me through mail and not a bare rooted plant but a potted plant.I don't plant any of my neps in the terrarium i just stick the pot in there.I use well sort of windowsill in a way to describe it.Humidity i'm not to worried bout it since i mist 1-3 times daily and i water once everyday or once every 2 days.

Ken

Sounds Good, Good Luck With Your Rajah, Please Keep Us Updated With It!

Forgot To Mention This Earlier But Do You Think Your Rajah Could Naturally Catch Allot Of Bugs Where You'll Have It Or Will You Fertilize It? Cofee Grinds Supposedly Work As A Good Fertilizer But I've Never Seen Any Evidence Or Proof That It Works. Hand Feeding An Occasional Fruit Fly Or Cricket Might Be A Good Idea(If It Has Pitchers).

Hi evergreen

I haven't got my nep yet but will get it somewhere in this month......I don't fertilise my plants or anything special they just catch they're food themselves.

Ken

Back