What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few U. Sandersonii Questions

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
A couple days ago, I bought a pot full of Sandersonii. There are a lot of plants in there, or it is a very large one at any rate. I know to keep it very wet, but what of other conditions?

I currently have it in with my N. Bicalcarata, so it is being kept in Lowland nepenthes temperatures. Is this ok? Or is it going to be too warm for the little Utric?

I hope they are as easy as everyone says they are.

ALSO. The dang thing is root bound like nobodies business. I just bought it so I'm really weary to do a repotting already. Should I? It has bladder strand coming out of the bottom, and shoots coming down the sides. The entire media comes out with ease.

Not to mention there are dozens (literally) of some unknown seedling Drosera.

Any suggestions guys?

Just good lighting and room temp to go with the wet conditions for the utric. The more room you can provide, depth and height, the better. Sundew seedling? Could be anything - spatulata, capensis, burmannii, binata, intermedia,...

Go ahead and grow it if you're worried about what it doesn't like and find any problems. Then divide it up like crazy. That's basically what I do.

Utricularia have no roots so no worries of rootbind problems for you my weary friend. They do prosper greatly from division, so when you get rested up, get yourself a wad of lfs all wet, plop the mass outta the pot, pull it into 2 clumps with all the viscious angst you care to deliver, wrap the half ball in half the prepared moss so the fresh part is at the bottom of the pot and plunk it right back inna the pot, repeat for it's brother. These plants were made for repotting and sharing, so have no fears.

Last edited:
Heh, thanks for the advice. I guess I will do that. Probably when I get back to Alaska so I can just go outside to get some LFS. For the mean time though it should be fine being totally "trap bound"?

It would be nice to seperate these Sundews too... Perhaps I will do that when I get more time/pots/soil.

Just did a count of the little drosera seedlings.

There are roughly 40!

Intuition says that you're likley to have D. intermedia or rotundifolia. Post pictures in a few months.

Definitely not Rotundifolia. It's probably intermedia or spathulata or something. Either way I'm not really too pumped about them anyway.

Another cool thing! I think I found some other Utric species too, Instead of the round leaves there are a few long skinny looking ones too.

Regardless, I gotta say it was the best 6 dollars i ever spent.

Back