What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis [Florida giant] w/ mold/fungi

Before winter started, i unpotted my D. filiformis [florida giant], sprayed it with fungicide, and put it in the fridge for 6 months. I checked on it today and it has white fungus/mold growing on it. Is this bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is bad, the fungicide does not assure 100% efficiency in preventing mold/fungus. 6 months is also an extremely long time to leave it in the fridge. 3 months is usually acceptable.

If the plant isnt dead yet trim the affected areas and reapply the fungicide. Check every couple days for an more outbreaks and reapply as needed. Good luck!

I think the plant may be dead. It was kept in dark, wet, and cold conditions when it should have been growing and now it's being attacked by fungus.

My VFT had the same problem, but it recovered -- until this year, when the temperatures outside and lack of weatherproofing did it in.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would acclimate it as best you can and get it out in the sun ASAP. If the temperatures are still low where you are, maybe putting it outside at night and letting it naturally wake up might be best?

Contrary to popular alarmist belief's, most fungi are not pathogenic, rather they are just scavengers, and quite beneficial, but sometimes they can be opportunistic. If your plants had already formed their Winter resting buds, before you refrigerated them, the visible mold may just be colonizing the dead outer leaves, which is a good thing. Be careful using synthetic chemical fungicides, they might just kill the beneficial fungi, leaving an opening for more aggressive and pathological types. Most fungicides do not kill all fungi.

Six months is rather long.....

The filiformis I've worked with won't tolerate being wet during dormancy. They will completely rot out if they have any more moisture than barely damp.

You can always pull it up if it's still dormant, just to check on it.

Back