What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biophytum sensitivum

This is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I got this with an order of Neps a while back, and placed it in the shady side of my terrarium. It was doing okay, but other than growing in height, new leaves only grew about 1/2" before dying off. Since removing the shading a week or so ago, it has taken off, growing like a little miniature beasty. It's like a miniature palm tree/tree fern, only growing a few inches tall.

P1010385-2.jpg

P1010386-1.jpg

OMG Thats exactly what I had, But I never knew what it was, i brought it from Colombia it was a gift from my grandma but it died! :( Does it flower pink?

I feel so sad now that I wasn't able to keep it alive

DSC01300.jpg

I'd do anything for another one...

Are these those plants that close their leaves when touched?

Nope you are confusing them with Mimosa Pudica, but these ones close their leaves at when in intense light and at night.

Their leaves will move SLIGHTLY when touched. It's not nearly as dramatic as Mimosa. I do believe it flowers pink, but mine hasn't gotten there yet. I've only had it a couple months, but I'm hoping for flowers within the next few months. They're also supposed to seed rather easily.

Although they say they can be grown as a windowsill plant, it may have been low humidity that shocked yours. Mine seems pretty sensitive to its conditions, and I wouldn't trust it on a windowsill until I spent a long time hardening it off first.

You can also grow it as an aquatic floating in water. It develops a furry white stem (rhizome?) grown in this fashion and then the leaves are dramatically mobile every night at sundown they close up and fold down. I never knew you could grow it as a terrestrial as I'd bought it from an aquatic plant shop for a paludarium years ago.

Back