What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

Im not sure, but all but one of my traps have started to turn black. Even one of the new leaves my plant is sending up, the tip of it turned completely black. Just got my plant 2 weeks ago. Has right RO water, grown indoors right behind a very sunny window. Maybe shock? Im really not sure but im pretty sure all the traps blackening at once is bad especially in spring when its supposed to be growing =p.

Um, how long is the photoperiod that it receives in the window? your problem could be aphids, or maybe you have the wrong soil, have you added fertilizer to it? if so...that's your answer. describe its growing conditions more clearly please :)

Conditions

Recieves a full day in the window cill, id say about 13 hrs of sunlight with about 5 direct. No fertilizier, peat moss and perlite 50/50. Reverse osmosis watered. Ive looked at it and i dont really suspect aphids.

Recieves a full day in the window cill, id say about 13 hrs of sunlight with about 5 direct. No fertilizer, peat moss and perlite 50/50. Reverse osmosis watered. Ive looked at it and i dont really suspect aphids.

You'd be surprised that aphids are often difficult to spot. The fact that your leaves are not developing strikes me as a pest problem (after you've already dealt with compost, water, and light issues). Check your plants early in the morning or at dusk and you may see the little buggers moving more actively . . .

If that is the case, Orthenex is the way to go. Forget the "green" solutions unless you want to make a career of treating your collection. After recent issues with nurseries, I isolate plants for a time and almost come to use the pesticide as a prophylaxis . . .

mine's aborted a trap before, the leaf is green but the trap looks like a small black stub.. i assume i wasn't giving it what it needed at the time, moved it to sunlight and it makes regualr non-aborted traps now.

Back