What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roses

Here are a couple pics from my grandma's rose garden.

Nice! I'd like to do roses if I had a yard. I had a small "Parade Rose" the miniature plants about 6-8" high with 2" blooms & 1" leaves for a year or two but it died off for some reason. It's color was similar to that last one you show but the inside was orange and the tips hot pink, they were fake looking flowers (crazy color) but real. No scent though - I like smelly flowers!

nice......cant grow hybrid teas here....ive got a couple 'Austrian Copper' shrub roses i really like......bought a couple more shrub and "nearly wild" roses to put in this year......

My mom got a wild "rose" for free once. She decided to plant it near or outdoor table we like to eat at. BAD CHOICE. The thing took over and had these ugly tiny white flowers. My dad decided to replace it with two roses that are hardy to 15 degrees today... It gets far colder then that here.

I like some of the species roses is that the same as a wild rose? The classic rose shape is a hybrid/cultivar/manmade creation but of course, when you say "rose" that's what people generally think of.

I dig the European climbing roses, growing up a stone wall or metal gate looks awesome! MN is pretty cold and mainly the "iceberg" roses (or something like that) survive best but they're always just white. Perhaps bloom colors are influenced by soil nutrients as well? Most blue hydrangeas which are planted in MN never are blue again when they rebloom. They just become an off white green.

One of my moms old co-workers was into roses and tried all kinds. He chopped them down to about 6-12" stems, loaded them with mulch, covered them with a big Styrofoam ice cooler type thing and then more mulch to get them through the winter, sometimes they still didn't make it even after all that production!

A girl I work with told me her roses all died she bought last summer:
"Roses are dumb they won't grow. I cut off the bag and put them in the ground and they died"
"Did you spread out the roots in a wide diameter hole with a pyramid in the middle like the bag said?"
"No that would take a long time, I just dug a hole and dropped them in."
:-(

not sure if the "nearly wild roses" are a species or just a hybrid with simple flowers....basically they have a pink, 5 petal flower.......

this is the 'Austrian Copper' prolly my favorite 5 petal rose:
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/species/RosaFoetidaBicolor.html

hardy as all get out...almost no die back even with no protection in the winter other than its on the south side of the house so it doesnt get the full force of the winter north winds.....but being close to the house it gets zero snow cover to protect it either.......the branches see -50 air temps in the winter and its not phased......i trim the tips in the spring to encourage branching but thats about it......

we do have a wild species rose here........i dont grow it though cause it doesnt form the nicest looking bushes they generally look kinda rough.....

That's a great color!

I like rugosa roses (Rosa rugosa for you species buffs). They aren't native, but they might as well be. They're the beach roses of New England and supposedly are hardy to Zone 2. They can grow in anything and there are a lot of cultivars with different colors. Best of all, in my opinion, is that they get huge and tasty rose hips. Not only do they have lots of Vitamin C and make great jelly, they're good right off the plant.

The closest thing we have to a wild rose is this one. We thought it was just an offshoot from a white climbing rose planted near by but when it flowered we realized it was a completely different plant. It's really only wild in the sense that it was a volunteer.

It could be a sprout from the white rose's rootstock, since roses are generally grafted/budded onto a rootstock of another variety, as is generally the case with fruit trees. Those are nice photos and her rose garden must be a nice place to be this time of year.

I like rugosa roses (Rosa rugosa for you species buffs). They aren't native, but they might as well be. They're the beach roses of New England and supposedly are hardy to Zone 2. They can grow in anything and there are a lot of cultivars with different colors. Best of all, in my opinion, is that they get huge and tasty rose hips. Not only do they have lots of Vitamin C and make great jelly, they're good right off the plant.

Hmmm... I have a couple Rosa rugosa bushes (rooted from cuttings from the beach, saved the cuttings when they were pruning them) Do you have a recipe for the jelly?

BTW- AWSOME ROSES!!!!

I dig the European climbing roses, growing up a stone wall or metal gate looks awesome! MN is pretty cold and mainly the "iceberg" roses (or something like that) survive best but they're always just white. Perhaps bloom colors are influenced by soil nutrients as well? Most blue hydrangeas which are planted in MN never are blue again when they rebloom. They just become an off white green.

Hydrangeas have no preset color. They need different nutrients to be different colors, here in New England it is almost impossible to get them to be pink for more then a year. If your want them to be blue again just get some acidic substrate into the soil.

not sure if the "nearly wild roses" are a species or just a hybrid with simple flowers....basically they have a pink, 5 petal flower.......

this is the 'Austrian Copper' prolly my favorite 5 petal rose:
http://www.rose-roses.com/rosepages/species/RosaFoetidaBicolor.html

hardy as all get out...almost no die back even with no protection in the winter other than its on the south side of the house so it doesnt get the full force of the winter north winds.....but being close to the house it gets zero snow cover to protect it either.......the branches see -50 air temps in the winter and its not phased......i trim the tips in the spring to encourage branching but thats about it......

we do have a wild species rose here........i dont grow it though cause it doesnt form the nicest looking bushes they generally look kinda rough.....

Oh, those were nothing like my mom's "wild rose", it was white with 4 petals and smaller.

Rosa sericea is the only rose i can think of with 4 petals.....all other wild type roses pretty much have 5

Hmm, that might be it... I really think there are a bunch behind my towns police station I could take a pic of.

A rose with only 4 petals is weird and I didn't believe you until I looked it up. I thought everything in the rose family has five petals.

theres a black sheep in every family :D

Yes; but you were telling the truth this time.

geez.....i get no respect........

geez.....i get no respect........

LOL!

Says a guy calling himself Der Fuhrer!

I want mine changed to Dar Fuhrer! :D

J/K! Sorry - it's just gonna take me a while to burn this one off (or rather get over the particular name change)!

the wife went a tad nuts at the greenhouse.....

put in two of these http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/38543 some of my favorites....

one of these: http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/josephs-coat-rose.html supposed to be one of the hardier climbers.....i put it up next to the south side of the house and will mulch the hell out of it this fall......

one of these http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/nearly-wild-rose.html

and 2 other red & cream shrub rose and a sprawling groundcover/shrub rose with red flowers

Back