What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Luck with D. Burmannii seeds.

Just wanted to post a picture of my D. Burmannii sprouts. THANKS AGAIN AARON!

Well, I can't get my picture to come up... hmmm?

GOT IT!

Last edited:
I might have sowed them a little thick, but they seem super happy!

079.jpg

Very nice! Here's one of mine from Aaron. This one was an early sprouter, the rest are now following
IMG_2237.JPG

Great picture! I can't get my camera to focus that closely! NICE!

Thanks, yours look a bit larger then mine, looks like increasing the humidity worked out well. Nice job sprouting those! I should have done the same

they look great! If you start feeding them early (prey of appropriate size) they will grow into adult plants in 4 months or so and give you more seeds!:)

Im still waiting to sow the burmanii, so i should use all spaghnum i take it?

I just used a 1:1 peat:perlite mix, and so far haven't seen anything. ugh. Can't even get easy drosera seeds to sprout. I guess I'll keep playing the waiting game, and will try to increase the light they are receiving. How long should these seeds be viable?

I ground up my LFS and put it in the to-go container and all of my drosera varieties have sprouted, not just the Burmannii.

I just used a 1:1 peat:perlite mix, and so far haven't seen anything. ugh. Can't even get easy drosera seeds to sprout. I guess I'll keep playing the waiting game, and will try to increase the light they are receiving. How long should these seeds be viable?

I'm struggling, too! I don't get it. It was easier when I was a newbie than it is now.

If you get fresh high quality burmanii seeds they sprout almost anywhere when you give them humidity and warm environment. I tried once they even sprouted on wet tissue. For me peat/SiO2 sand..... 50/50 mix works perfectly. Sometimes it just takes a little patience with the seeds but the results are worthwhile:) Good luck!

I use peat/silica sand. Mine sprouted within 3-4 weeks under 4 T-12s about 5 inches above. RH was around 50-60% with a slight air circulation 24/7. At this rate I'll have plenty to send in a few weeks to those that werent so lucky as us : )

Sweet bunch of sprouts you have there ell.

The seeds of this species stay viable for quite a long time, andy gave me some over a year ago and I sowed them immediately, then I accidentally killed the seedlings, and a few months ago, one sprouted....in the same tray, same soil.it just flowered twice and is dying back as typical for this species after flowering. This species is one of the weeds of the drosera family, so be prepared lol.

I was just checking a pot of D. spatulata to see if I could capture a flower in bloom and I caught a glimpse of something that looked different, partially obscured from my view. Rotating the pot 90 degrees:

Picture017-3.jpg

I have no idea how it got there.

wow, they look great guys!
klasac is right- if you feed them small bits of food when they are seedlings, they grow extremely fast.
Looks like French3z's have been fed. Nice macro, by the way.

You may find that D. burmannii will struggle to grow a bit when it is younger unless it is fed.
Thanks for the report!

Hey I made a little experiment and I think it is very appropriate for this discussion. I had some extra burmannii seedlings and I used them to show how much light matters to them! (Guess which one got the most intense light;-)) :
DSCF0002-12.jpg

Very neat experiment! How were you able to give them different light regimes with them being so close to each other?

They were/are on the same light regime (16 hour period). The light intensity is simply a function of distance from the light source. To avoid the influence of heat, I used cold light.

Back