What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

long freaking weekend.........

we left home at about 6:30 Friday morning and drove the 50 miles to Glasgow to meet the owner of the papers for breakfast....after which we headed to the bank to talk with the Bank president about a few things and than off to the lawyers office where the owner of the paper gave my wife and i 20% of the papers for years of service.....

a buddy and i were going to fish the Hell Creek Walleye Tournament on Fort Peck Reservoir and originally these meetings with the bank and lawyer were going to take place in the afternoon and because of this instead of keeping our reservations for a cabin at Hell Creek we chose to borrow my father in laws cabin on the north end of the lake at The Pines because there was no way we could make the (as we thought) 5pm rules meeting driving around the Dry Arm to Jordan and up the 20 miles of gravel to the Hell Creek Marina....by using my inlaws cabin at the pines we only had to deal with the about 10 miles of highway and 20 some miles of gravel and a 20 mile, half hour boat ride down the lake to the Hell Creek marina....

well the meetings happened earlier than planned and it turns out the rules meeting was at 7pm so we would have had time to drive around....but its a darn good thing we stayed at the Pines it turned out because there was no cell service around Hell Creek bay until yah got close to the mouth and picked up signal from one of the towers on the north side of the lake....when we got off the lake after coming back to the Pines from the rules meeting i had a message on my phone that i had left in the truck to call home about my german shorthair pup that my parents were watching....

well Jake hadnt really been eating good the last week and i knew that but i thought it was because he was pouting like the other dog does when she doesnt get her way because he didnt get to come to work with me for about a week due to several different things going on, but he was eating treats when offered and drinking plenty of water.....had energy to run with my buddies dog on Wednesday night when we were getting the boat ready for the tournament.....so i call my mom back and Jake has been puking all day and not keeping anything down....dammit, nearest vet is 100 mile round trip from my parents and it was near 9 pm....not much could be done just then.....asked her if she could run to Glasgow with him in the morning if he still wasnt doing good and Darla would meet her there(takes roughly the same amount of time to get there from the Pines as from home.....

so Saturday morning they get to the vet about the time we had gotten done with check in at the Hell Creek Marina and run back up Hell Creek bay to fish the points west of Crooked Creek(roughly half the distance between the Pines and the Hell Creek Marina)....my wife called and said the vet was worried it was Parvo which is odd cause his shots were up to date....vet gave him a med to coat his stomach and and a liquid antibiotic, gave Darla some bland canned food, some antibiotic pills and a syringe to give him water and said bring him back if he gets worse cause its going to mean IV fluids and a stay at the vets....when we got off the water and back to the cabin at 5pm, they had gotten quite a bit of water in him 15cc's at a time and he was acting alot better than he was at the vets.....Sunday morning after a few more antibiotics he was starting to get some energy back and could hold food down....he slept most the day but was doing good enough we took him out on the boat that evening....this morning he was a ball of energy so he should be fine....

back to the fishing tournament.........Saturday morning around Crooked Creek we got about 11 fish in the boat in fairly short order they were biting short though and we were having a hell of a time with hook ups, couple small ones bulldogged a leech all the way up till they saw the boat at which time they let go....out of those 11, 2 were weighable because they had to be 14 inches and above to count...Craig lost one that was defiantly atleast 12 pounds but due tot he short bite he wasnt hooked well....got him up to the boat twice and the second time he got a good look at the boat shook his head, tossed the hook and headed back down but at the point he shook the hook loose he was still to deep for me to net him.....Craig damn near threw his pole over board he was so pissed....the bite slowed down so we headed across the lake to fish a couple other holes we knew about and got another weighable fish to the boat and 2 more dinks....Craig also hooked up with something big but it snapped the line before we could see it....was either a good sized walleye or a decent northern...in all we weighed in about 5 pounds of fish.....there were a couple 20 weights on the board, a whole lot under 10 pounds and some zeros......the big walleye that shook the hook would have put us in the top 10 for the first day, maybe in the top 6....

Sunday the fishing was rougher...... a storm moved through....we were able to stay deep enough in some bays to the point where we just got sprinkled on as it passed to the north of us.....wasnt much of a bite....Saturday we were popping lots of walleye even if they were to small and constantly fighting trash fish.....nothing was even trying to steal our bait on Sunday....did manage to get a one and there quarters walleye into the boat though......i had another of similar sized throw a hook at the surface and that was it.....at 11:30 we hit a weight boat to check in our fish and it was only the 3rd fish they measured all day....we werent the only ones having crappy luck......fished the east side of Crooked Creek Bay a bit protected from the wind....once the storm blew through we headed up to the Pines point to a honey hole we knew there.....problem being the nearest weight boat was going to be a 10 minute ride away at full bore on a calm lake....with wind making white caps it was going to take longer and we had to weigh in our last fish by 3 and be off the lake by 3:30 to turn in our weight card...

off the Pines i hooked up with a 3 pound drum and then as soon as i rebaited my hook and sent it down i hooked up with a 3 pound walleye.....we looked at the clock....2:20......hmmm, screw it, we aint going to beat ourselves up for a 3 pound fish, tossed it in the live well and kept fishing....Craig hooked up with a one pound smallmouth bass and we tossed it in the live well....after some more stolen bait we called the Hell Creek marina, told them to consider us in, we aint flying down the lake for a 3 pound fish......called up the gals at the cabin, asked if they wanted to do some fishing and meet us at the Pines dock.....picked up the galls and Jake and went back to fishing.....Craig hooked up another bass and a ~1 pound walleye and i darn near got a 20 pound northern into the boat but he threw the hook just before we got him in the net.......some more trash fish were caught and the wind picked up forcing us off of the hole we were fishing......fished a bit on our way back tot eh dock, loade up, ate supper, cleaned up the cabin and headed home....though it was his first time out, Jake had a blast on the boat.....didnt know what to think about Craifs bass but when he brought in the walleye Jake had figured out the name of the game was to get the flopping, slimy critters into the live well and he lunged for Craigs walleye on the bottom of the boat to secure it so it didnt escape......woulda got a mouth full of dorsal spines had i not grabbed his collar......from here on out he layed in the bottom of the boat, half a sleep untill he saw someone take their pole out of the holder at which point he jumped to his feet ready to help out......not sure what he would have done had i got that northern into the boat :D

Back