What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigo

Learning How To Multiply
Hello peepos

Today I receive some great live sphagnum moss from Crissytal (thank you Crissytal). but it came out more than I need. sooo I had a 20 gallon fish tank thinking of going for a terrarium. but I really hate to disturbing a beautiful terrarium when dormancy come. so could you guys please gimme a list of CP that doesn;t require going through dormancy.???. planning to put them in the tank so ya i could enjoy them year round.

any CP will do. since the terrarium gonna be saggy with sphagnum moss as dressing and some standard media. don;t think nepenthes would like it inside so i will just keep some nepenthes potted and put it in. and specially looking for some CP that able to capture gnat. springtails. etc pest that normally appear in the terrarium. do you guys think Utricularia will do the job at keeping gnat population down in the terrarium? which Utricularia would be the best? and doesn;t require going through dormancy. so is Pinguicula :blush: not very good at known all type of CP. so thank you for helping guy i really appreciated.

Light system will be using red/blue led growing light which is a suntan machine for nearly all my nepenthes and cephs haha they doesn;t do very well in long run but ya they do better than regular white lighting

Droseras will probably be the way to go. Utrics will infest the whole tank, but I think it'd be cool to have a whole tank with utrics.

Haha ya thats what i had in mind too with all those Utrics ( different type of flower color*) blooming continuesly all year round would be a nice scene don;t you think? but which type of sundew doesn;t require dormnacy?????

The tropical kinds like D. aliciae (great plant), D. spatulata, D. capensis, maybe D. intermedia 'Cuba ' if you have good lighting, D. adelae (weedy plant), and some others.

The tropical kinds like D. aliciae (great plant), D. spatulata, D. capensis, maybe D. intermedia 'Cuba ' if you have good lighting, D. adelae (weedy plant), and some others.

Hmm any tropical Ping out there? if i grow sundew could i grow Utric? how long will it take for the Utric to take over the tiny 20 gallon tank?

Umm, you could try Mexican pinguicula, an easy starter plant that can be found almost anywhere is P. moranensis. I've grown P. moranensis in pure live sphagnum moss, and they really do thrive in such conditions. P. moranensis and such hybrids will really feast on fungus gnats, and some smaller and less weedy sundews like D. aliciae, tokaiensis, nidiformis, dielsiana etc etc will look great in the setup.

...Lol.

He already said he was putting in Nepenthes, but in pots instead of directly into soil.

For pings, I would go with P. primuliflora and leave the Mexican ones out.

Back