What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temp and Humidity Cylce Necessary?

Hiya Fellow Nep'ers-

Okay, we all know that all living things need a day and night cycle, including plants (well maybe except fungusus(s) and really deep water animals), so for most of us that have a plant terrariums have placed our lights on timers.

But my question is, for a plant to be healthy and grow vigrously, does the temp and humidity also need to go up and down daily? ???

I understand that a plant can burn itself out photosyntheticaly eventually (I mean it will grow fast at first but then it will tire itself out) if the lights are kept on 24/7.

But will a lowlander, specifically a bical, a species that is normally found in hot, humid swampy areas require drops in temp and humidity? If so, how much of each? I can't pitcher (get it, pitcher instead of picture :-))) that they both go down that much, that it would be necessary to change anything.

Any info, experiences or wisdom that can be imparted would be greatly appreciated :hail:

Good Growing :boogie:
E

I don't grow N. bical (I will soon, though. :3), but it should be ok with small drops in temps and humidity. Either way, with the lights off, the temperature is going to drop regardlessly, and I believe the humidity will change as well with the lights off.

Keep your bical above 70*F at night and give it sweltering heat and humidity during the day to get rapid growth and pitchers. My daytime temps ranged from 85-100*F throughout the year during the day underneath a 400W metal halide. I ran my highland and lowland nepenthes grow chambers with humidistats set to 80% RH and supplied by ultrasonic humidifiers.

Condensation ("dew") can happen more rapidly at lower temps at night so it's very important to see how high it gets once the lights are off if you're using a humidifier and no humidistat along with it. Too much dew can lead to rot and fungal infections.

Hiya Swords-

So, at night, too much dew . . . can un-dew a plant.

So at 70 degrees with a 80 RH at night, your terrarium had no condensation?

May I also ask, what did you have your photoperiod duration set at?

Thanks,
E

Back