What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my wireless router keep dropping me?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
My Netgear wireless router keeps dropping me and I have to unplug it to get it to work again.
It happens every 1-3 hours I'm on the net.
I'm running windows 7 64 bit and I used there tool to check for compatability and everything checked out.
It's driving me nuts.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Zero

Is the router firmware up to date? Login to it (I use http://www.routerlogin.com/start.htm to login to mine) and it will probably check automatically right away, if not try to find the spot to do it (mine is router upgrade under maintenance) I take it your modem is still showing connection when you get dropped?

Andrew

Firmware is up to date, strong signal even when I can't connect. The router is wireless b/g and only a year or so old. Laptop is kinda new though. I don't have any problems in other places.
Is there something under the router settings that I need to change?
I might need to call netgear.

How about finding out what technology your laptop is using, and then change the router settings to match that. You don't want to send more signals than specifically what you're going to use. Not sure if that would cause the issue though...
If you have a strong signal but it's not letting you connect, I'm thinking specific settings. Are you using any type of wireless security? I'm using wpa2-psk [AES] on my netgear with win7 32

Andrew

One thing to check may be your wireless card. Failing wireless cards often frequently drop connections.

-Hermes.

Since it's a newer laptop, I'd place money on the wireless is built in and not a card. Plus he says it doesn't happen elsewhere. That's why I'm sticking with the router :)

Andrew

Thanks for the info.
I'll try some differn't settings to see if that works
the notebook wireless adapter is working fine, I will have to go into the netgear settings and change some stuff.
peace,
Zero

I had the same problem with netgear routers, with multiple computers. I tried calling netgear and they were useless so I went out and bought a Belkin and it has worked perfectly ever since. I would try netgear if I was you but dont expect much from them if my experience means much they will just tell you its your computers. Good luck though, I hope they help you out.

Mine is not netgear, but it stores a pretty detailed error log. During the initial setup and security tweeking (im a security nut... stop laughing crystal :p ) I found the log to be most helpful.
I would google the specific error and get good info on possible solutions. Now its rock solid and as bullet proof as I can get it.
(With mine, the logs are buried deep in the bowel's of the router's advanced settings...)

Ditto on Andrew's wpa2-psk (RSNA-CCMP), with hidden SSID, 256bit random keycode, MAC filtering and full stealth

On mine I was also able to adjust the RF output so it doesnt broadcast any further then I need.

Av

I'm with ya Av!
I'm right next to a park... So I absolutely stay as stealth and secure as possible. (plenty of neighbors are not... so I'm sure they get used and people don't bother trying to find me :p) I even set up wireless card access list just so if someone did manage to get past everything else, they still can't communicate since their mac address isn't on the allow list :p (I guess that's your mac filtering comment)

and yes, there is a detailed log on netgear, under content filtering.

Andrew

Back