What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to grow Nepenthes Hamata?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I found some Nepenthes Hamata for sale for good prices. However, I know they are not as easy to grow as a Ventricosa or Ventrata.

Would I have better luck growing it indoors on my windowsill (perhaps with a humidity dome) or outdoors on my covered patio?

Is that so? you found some hamata? may i ask where? pm me!

but as for hamata maintenance, if you can get good lighting on your windowsill or patio, go for it--i dont think it matters. if it's a small plant, definitely keep it in a place that has high humidity. i think what matters most is if you can give it that drop to 50F every night.

Even though I have never grown hamata, I daresay that it will be very difficult in either situation. First of all, hamata is a highlander/ultrahighlander, so you will need a significant temp drop at night. Also, hamata is VERY fussy about humidity when young. If you still want to go with the window/patio idea, however, ask elgecko (the guy with a magic window where he grows an amazing hamata). He might have some good tips for you.

Poor hamata is such a misunderstood plant. The thing about it is how fragile it is when people first get it which is usually as a small tc plant. In tc it's in very high humidity and most of the plants you get are fresh out. They haven't been hardened off to outside conditions and so they go into severe shock usually. Once out of that stage they can be adjusted to a wide variety of conditions. Elgecko grows his on a windowsill. And it's vining. Or was anyways. It still can be a really touchy plant though. I don't grow it. But I do grow tentaculata which is as close to hamata as you can get and it's a pretty easy plant but it's still really sensitive to humidity fluctuations. If you do get hamata just keep in the back of your mind that it's gotta be treated like a baby for a while until it grows out of that stage. Good luck!

Alex

My hamatas - one sits on a rack that's currently getting 3-4ish hours direct sunshine light, the other on a window sill with 6ish hours direct sunshine. I kept them in bags when I first got them for 3ish weeks, but they're acclimating really well. They've both just put out new leaves and I don't think I've had them for more than 1-2 months. My humidity varies from 60%-85ish% (because I live on the coast) without any artificial misting system or lights or anything. Not sure about temps...definitely drop at night because I never use my heating, but I'd say take whatever temp it is outside in SD and add 5-10 degrees during the day is what it is in my house, and probably whatever the day time temp was is my nighttime temp inside.

While I think that humidity with N. hamata is important enough, it is also overplayed a bit; and that temperature drop at night -- especially in warmer climates -- is a considerably bigger concern . . .

@thez_yo That actually sounds like a good strategy, considering that currently, nights in the San Diego area (like where I live) are around 50-55F right now, which is perfect for highlanders. However, won't it get too hot during summer, considering there will be 90-100F days and nights at about 75F?

once again hamata IS NOT an ultra highlander......it DOES NOT need to drop to 50 every night, i grew the dang thing for years and it never saw 50......it does like a drop at night but down to 60-65 is fine.....mine saw 80 days and 60 nights and was happy as all get out and would still be happy if it didnt react badly to an insecticide i used on it.....when small it is also touchy on humidity, doesnt need to be 90% but i sure wouldnt let it fall below 50-60% when its young, when it gets older its not as fussy...but if it is fresh out of TC you prolly should give it near 95% and slowly acclimate it down to lower...

Got mine in November from Wistuba, t was right out of TC, and sinceI got it, it hasn't grown or pitchered, until this month. It took 4 months in a terrarium to acclimatize, and is finally making its fist pitcher and next leaf. Hehe I hope mine makes it, they are quite picky when small in my experience.

Grow it inside since you're basically in the same climate as me. Also, there's tons of info here. Do some searching if what these guys have said is not enough.

@w03: I just got it, so hopefully it survives Aug/Sept/Oct. I keep the windows open during the summer so I get a nice cross-breeze at night from all the ocean air rolling in, so hopefully even if it does get in the 90's, the drop in temps at night will give it a good rest. If not...well, then then I'll ship it off for the summer or for good. I only keep plants that I find easy to grow. Oddly enough, the worst growers for me are spectabilis, ventricosa red, sanguinea orange, and inermis.

I'm not very surprised about the spectablis and inermis not growing well here. Both are highlanders, and both, maybe more for inermis, suffer without the cool nights. I actually read about someone's inermis that completely stopped growing due to an unusually hot summer.

However, I am VERY surprised that sanguinea orange and ventricosa red don't do well here... I thought they were adaptable intermediates!

@Wolfn: I also read somewhere on terraforums that hamata really takes off if you can get it to the vining stage... it takes a really long time, but if you get there, you're pretty much in the clear.

I think it's just me - even the macro is doing wonderfully.

Got mine in November from Wistuba, t was right out of TC,

is it ok to order from wistuba , do you have to have proper papers for customs:blush: or are these coming from the USA ??
I would love to try one in my high terr. but dont want any dealings with customs???

Wistuba deals with the import/export/customs paperwork himself when you order from him - and has a USA based forwarding person once the plants get into the country. I think the forwarding person is somewhere around Virginia or Georgia or something.

Wistuba is selling the Hamatas for 30 Euros. That translates to roughly $40 for a Hamata

However, I think I'll wait till I get a proper terrarium to grow everything before I buy one.

Don't you need to have a minimum order to have plants shipped overseas from Wistuba?

Don't you need to have a minimum order to have plants shipped overseas from Wistuba?

no, atleast not if your willing to wait for a bulk shipment when he sends over the plants for a number of ppl at one time.....you can buy one plant from him if you wish.....

Back