What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple clips

N. clipeata clone 3
IMG_2546.jpg

clone 2 pitcher
IMG_2547.jpg

clone 3 pitcher
IMG_2523.jpg

You da man Doug! I love 'em! :-O

This day had to come sooner or later where someone posted some clipeata pictures! Clone three is a male, too, Doug. It's the only AW clone to have flowered. :)

Very nice pitchers! Those leave are so cool looking too.

Terrific! I love these plants. I hope to get one someday sooner than later. It's good to see that there are healthy specimens growing, even if it is in isolated terrariums and greenhouses on different continents.

Thanks guys,

That's good to know Clue. Now hopefully clone 2 will turn out to be a female.

Ant, I also think the unique leaves on these plants are one of their best features.

Dex, I agree. With these plants quite possibly now extinct in nature, their future survival might rely on plants currently in cultivation. I'm still holding out hope for an as yet to be discovered colony. And if that does happen, it's location would have to be kept either a closely guarded secret or just closely guarded, until some of that plant material was at least legally and responsibly collected.

I haven't been keeping very close tabs on it lately, so its believed that it's extinct in the wild? That's very bad news if so. We can always hope that there are more out there to find. With all the new species that are discovered each year, it's a possibility. Unfortunately the newest species seem to be being found in the Philippines and Sulawesi, areas that haven't been hit as hard by commercial palm plantations as Borneo. It's a shrinking planet, and I hope I can make it to Borneo before what I'm looking for is gone. :(

Are there only these three clones in cultivation? That's a tiny gene pool if so. I get sad every time I see a clipeata hybrid, to me it just signifies how much easier it is for the plant to be lost into genetic obscurity....

Oh, and what kind of conditions do you grow yours in? Is it a very extreme lowlander? How tolerant of intermediate conditions would you say it is?

Hi Dex,

I believe there are five clones in commercial propagation.

Wistuba has clones 2, 3 and U. Borneo Exotics is getting set to release two additional distinct clones also, according to the Stewart McPherson books, PPotOW.

Then there are probably others out there, poached or otherwise, in private collections.

I grow mine in intermediate conditions, under fluorescent lights in my basement.

They probably get up to 25C during the day and then the temp drops down to 20C for the night.

I don't do anything special for humidity, and it is very dry here. These plants are quite hardy, I'm finding.

Nice! Thanks for the info

Mine is a baby about 6mo old from when I ordered from Wistuba (tiny plant still..clone U about 1.5" diameter), and it lives alongside every other nep I grow, which are mostly intermediate/highlands at house-temperatures. In fact right now it's sitting between an N.ampXsib, N.pervillei, D.callistos and N.macro. It took a couple weeks to settle in dropping all of its pitchers, but has taken off and started making cute little baby pitchers at this point.

Dexenthes said:
I haven't been keeping very close tabs on it lately, so its believed that it's extinct in the wild?
Dex, clipeata is probably extinct in the wild (nobody's been to Mt. Kelam in a while...). I too hope that clipeata grows elsewhere in Borneo. Here's a small report by Joachim Nerz on Mt. Kelam (it's old!).

dvg said:
I believe there are five clones in commercial propagation.
There are also more than five clones of pure clipeata in cultivation (maybe not all of them are commercially propagated, though). The Japanese growers have a few clones in cultivation (I forgot how many exactly). Here's something I found a while back (not mine):
20070816_212748.jpg

N.clipeataです。これも葉の付き方に特徴があって、普通は葉っぱの先端にツボが付くんですが、こいつぁ葉の真ん中へんからツボが付きだします。
(Basically, the grower is saying that the leaves are a characteristic in diagnosing the species.)

I also know of a grower in Borneo who has a mated pair of clipeatas and is currently propagating them by cuttings. Here's the link, it's about halfway down. Lay may possibly be my hero. :hail:

Dexenthes said:
Is it a very extreme lowlander? How tolerant of intermediate conditions would you say it is?
It is a true intermediate. It grows at about 800 meters asl. atop Mt. Kelam in Borneo.

dvg said:
I'm still holding out hope for an as yet to be discovered colony. And if that does happen, it's location would have to be kept either a closely guarded secret or just closely guarded, until some of that plant material was at least legally and responsibly collected.
As unlikely as that is, I hope that it really is true. It would be a shame to lose a species this great!

Dexenthes said:
I get sad every time I see a clipeata hybrid, to me it just signifies how much easier it is for the plant to be lost into genetic obscurity....
Unfortunately, there just aren't any male and females flowering at the same time... if they could, I'm sure that people would make true species. Hybrids may be the closest some can get to clipeata, and there are natural hybrids including clipeata x rafflesiana and clipeata x reinwardtiana.

:)

Truly a beathtaking species. When i actually have room, this will be a definite addition to my collection. :)

You have a very impressive array of knowledge regarding this species Clue.

I can clearly see that you have a passion for N. clipeata.

Nice work!

Clue, man you are a terrific powerhouse of information regarding clipeata! Hybrids, are a strange thing really, it would be a shame to waste any clipeata pollen or flowers of any kind, and finding other clipeatas I'm sure has proven to be extremely difficult. But at the same time, If one were to someday in the not so distant future own a Nepenthes (Rokko x {(clipeata x eymae) x clipeata}) x veitchii I think we can all agree that although it would be impressive, but it would not be like owning a true Nepenthes clipeata. That being said, as long as all growers take the most stringent efforts not to sell hybrids as true clipeata, there is a realistic future for this plant still.

Hopefully in a few decades there will be some sort of pure species breeding somewhere and maybe a few seedlings can return to Mt. Kelam.

This plant is so cool!

Hmm, is it that hard to exchange pollen by mail? I should think it ought to be a pretty simple thing for growers to get together online to do a pollination and split the seeds 50/50. Refrigerate out of season and extra pollen from males until such time as needed. Can also experiment with drying in a food dehydrator with adjustable temp mine goes as low as 90*F or 95*F (haven't used it in a couple years), enough to ensure dryness of the pollen heads before storage (no fungus/mildew) but not cook it.

When I was deep into Neps there was some German guy (not Wistuba) running a mature Nep database online where growers could register (free) and enter their Nep plants sex info, people interested in mating their plants contacted each other. Maybe not enough people got onboard with it so he gave up the effort? At the time I had Clone U from Wistuba. It was about 8" when I sold it, grew very slowly for me I had it in bright lowland conditions which it apparently didn't like.

Dexenthes said:
Hybrids, are a strange thing really, it would be a shame to waste any clipeata pollen or flowers of any kind, and finding other clipeatas I'm sure has proven to be extremely difficult. But at the same time, If one were to someday in the not so distant future own a Nepenthes (Rokko x {(clipeata x eymae) x clipeata}) x veitchii I think we can all agree that although it would be impressive, but it would not be like owning a true Nepenthes clipeata. That being said, as long as all growers take the most stringent efforts not to sell hybrids as true clipeata, there is a realistic future for this plant still.
The NcSP (Nepenthes clipeata Survival Program) was supposed to network clipeata growers together in case there were males and females in flower at the same time. The problem with the program is that not all growers found the website and registered their clipeatas; IIRC it was mostly US and European growers who registered their plants, which all came from Wistuba, and all the clipeata that have ever flowered from AW have been males (clone 3 and some unidentified clones). This is a thread that Clint posted for a friend with a flowering male clipeata. And let's not forget it takes clipeata a lot longer than most Neps to flower.

Joachim Danz (not to be confused with Joachim Nerz) has a female clipeata that was from the Munich Botanical Gardens. Joachim is a member of Terraforums, but I haven't seen him on the forum for a long while.

Dexenthes said:
Hopefully in a few decades there will be some sort of pure species breeding somewhere and maybe a few seedlings can return to Mt. Kelam.
That would be good news. Hopefully, if there are any clipeata left, their habitat would remain unmolested and healthy.

dvg said:
You have a very impressive array of knowledge regarding this species Clue.
When you like a species enough, you try to learn as much as you can about it. :)

Register your clipeata clones! The process is fairly simple; I registered my clone 2 before it died. >.<

Thanks for posting that link to register, Clue. Perhaps I'll assume I won't kill my Clone U and register it later today...

Back