What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. alpina Tubers At Surface

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was just trying to remove a dead leaf. Attached to it and obviously just below the media surface was a tuber:

Picture008-3.jpg

And then I noticed another tuber already at the surface:

Picture009-7.jpg

Is this normal? Should I do anything with them?

yeah its normal.....one of my alpinas that is growing out the bottom of the pot must have a half dozen tubers sitting in the open air on the tray bottom.....

Should I do anything for them?

i dont......i just let it do its thing......figure the plant knows best where the tubers should be....if it wants them at the surface it can have them at the surface for all i care.....

Is your colony indoors or outside?

indoors.....couldnt grow outside if i wanted to.....to dry and the temps swing wildly.....only thing that has ever grown decently outside for me is mexi pings in summer.....the low humidity and wind fried the drosera i tried even though they were in a tray of water.....

So the temperature doesn't change much from day to night? I'm trying figure out what triggers them to flower. Also, do you remove the tubers and place them in a cold, dry environment?

Mine does that too, so I would say it's fairly normal. I keep mine moist year round indoors and they flower reliably each year... the only difference is that the stolons die back a bit over the winter, but always bounce back in spring.

Cole

mine dont flower.....prolly because my conditions are so stable.....its been suggested that if i let them dry out some they should flower......they are in the basement and temps fluctuate between 60 and 80 but its rare to see outside that........usually see a 10-15 degree change in temps from night to day as the lights warm it up and i like to sleep cool and they are in the basement where i sleep....

I wonder if I could take them outside for the next 6 months, or at least split the colony.

i would get a second pot established than experiment all yah want with the extras.....

I think i'll try that. Probably should do the same with U. longifolia and a few other things.

im pretty sure i could be tried for hate crimes in some countries for some of the stuff i did to U. tricolor in the past trying to get the SOB to bloom......if you have a pot of Utrics that is growing good but not flowering after being in your care for a decent length of time.....take a division, get it established and happy than proceed to torture the hell out of it to get it to bloom while leaving one pot in the conditions where it is growing fine for back up......its what i have usually done in the past.....just have had to much going on to try it recently with my Orichidioides.....

Switch up the photocycle and tweak the moisture levels in the media in the same cycle as the lights and you'll get them to flower. :)

I do have the plants on timers, to roughly resemble the photoperiod. I do add water when there's next to nothing. Sometimes, some plants react to the change in water levels - like D. slackii. A at least the longifolia finally wants to flower, it seems.

Back