What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Lil Ping

This might not be something you see everyday.

P. heterophylla makes dormant bulbs, that remain in bone dry conditions until they are ready to spring forth with new growth again.

Here is a flower that has risen out of one of these dormant bulbs, before the leaves have gotten going.
IMG_3296-1.jpg

And here is another bulb in the same pot, sending up another flower.
IMG_3294-1.jpg

Later on the leaves are produced. This is a previous photo of one of my P. heterophylla putting out it's first leaves...looks kinda like a green starfish, doesn't it.;)
IMG_0286.jpg

dvg

Whoah! That's weird! If only we could get lilies to do that!

Those are some fancy onions with purple flowers you've got there! :-))

Kewlness!

Doesn't Pinguicula Medusina act the same way? I've wanted to get one, but I found it turns into a bulb during dormancy.

Thanks for the comments, ladies and gents:-D

Wolfn, yes, there are a few species of mexican Pinguicula that make underground dormant bulbs, with P. medusina being one of them.

dvg

Very cool. Great pics

Here is a pic of some P. medusina potted up and still adjusting to my conditions.

IMG_0783-1.jpg

And this is a plantlet growing on the end of a leaf tip.

IMG_0782-1.jpg

dvg

Great job cultivating them!

Beautiful! Great growing!

Still amazed that it's even possible.

My P. heterophylla are at it again, putting out new growth and a couple of flowers on one of the plants, after having completed their most recent dormancy peiod.

IMG_7409-1.jpg

I'll have to start feeding them again, to provide the reserves necessary to sustain them through their next dormancy phase.

dvg

huh.. you the bulbs go on TOP of the media. Maybe that's why my medusina wasted away.

suite

very very nice .

have you a culture experience with P.medusinae and P.heterophylla over several years?

very very nice .

have you a culture experience with P.medusinae and P.heterophylla over several years?

Thanks Jeff 2, i've been growing those two for close to 3 years now.

dvg

Another update on the P. heterophylla. Here is one that was fed with some springtails last week.

IMG_7994-1.jpg

A look at how these leaves unfurl in a spiral manner.

IMG_7929-2.jpg

And a shot with two in the same pot. Unfortunately. the wind wasn't cooperating today and consequently the flower was flopping around considerably.

IMG_7966-1.jpg

They were both fed another springtail meal after shooting these photos, so hopefully that will encourage them to continue on with decent growth.

dvg

Here's another update on the P. heterophylla.

These pings are putting out more of the thinner upright type leaves. Note the flower stalk in the middle that has dropped its petals.

IMG_9336-2.jpg

The white specks on the leaves are from the tropical springtails that these plants were recently fed.

A shot of one of the leaves unfurling.

IMG_9314-3.jpg

And a closer look at the seed capsule that remains left standing after the flower petals dropped.

IMG_9323-1.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if it was pollinated and is able to produce at least some viable seed.

dvg

Wow.. that is the most interesting ping I've ever seen :0o:

Wow.. that is the most interesting ping I've ever seen :0o:

Yeah, this species doesn't waste any time exploding out of the gate, showing all of this growth in less than a month's time.

dvg

Back