What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Being a NOOB has it's drawbacks

• Thread starter Dodge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tiny
Sometimes being a noob has it's challenges ???

So.... I received my first Tarantula's ever (A. Versicolor) and apparently they can squeeze through tiny air holes, hmmm yea yea, BretG I should have taken your advice, lol

Making the other ones smaller enclosure with SMALLER holes now ;)

IMG_3703.jpg

Needless to say that one has a REALLY BIG HOME now, ummm somewhere :-D

IMG_3667.jpg

No worries, the little guy will be fine, plenty of gnats flying around for it to eat...

I can just imagine you finding him in a few years, raiding a nep pitcher of its food... hope he doesn't get eaten by any of your plants! That would be one expensive meal!

That's very funny. And, he's a cute little guy too.

hahaha.. I also hope he doesn't get eaten by one of your plants. He's porbably like indiana jones right now on a big adventure with giant CP's. :p :-D ..........or something.

OH NOOOoooo... Keep an eye on the walls on ceiling. Your best bet for finding it will be at night. Since tarantulas are nocturnal..

Maybe you could make tarantula noises to lure him (yes im a noob too :D)

Good Choice
Female Versicolors are gorgeous spiders / Awesome colors

Ok, it's probably going to be impossible to find something that small in there
But keep an eye out in dark corners for webs
Once they find a comfortable home specially if there's food available they don't tend to wonder much

Was debating if I should warn you or let you find out the fun way / LOL
Adult Versicolors like to squirt stuff when they get spooked & they have one hell of an aim

Really Nice Set Up By The Way

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the support :) I will go hunting after Midnight. No worries, if anything she will just web up one of the Nep pitchers and make it her new home.

They say the third time is the charm, so here is the 3rd enclosure with SMALLER HOLES. lol for the one that didn't get away ;)
This enclosure has 1 live Nepenthes seedling (Spendiana X Amp), 1 live Cissus sicyoides (princess vine) and 1 live fern (small unknown species) with a eco-earth backdrop and clay hydroponic pellets in the water, to keep moisture/humidity up.

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3771.jpg

Oh btw, how do you make Tarantula noises, I googled it and came up empty.... JK ;)

Last edited:
Can't you put screening over the air holes?

That one looks small enough that it won't be going anywhere.

"Oh btw, how do you make Tarantula noises"

Very Carefully... LOL...

where did you get those wooden containers/rectangular pots?

Well hopefully you'll find it someday!

Mass those are orchid baskets, most orchid shops and online orchid sellers have them in various sizes, usually they are pretty shallow though (4" deep). You can custom make 'em yourself for much cheaper than buying premade if you have a saw and drill and get some 1" x 1" wood slats.

Can't you put screening over the air holes?

Yea, I could screen it but it ruins the aesthetics :-(

Just put her back into the enclosure, kept her in the pill bottle overnight and feed her a few flightless fruitflies.

No way she is getting thru these holes ;)

where did you get those wooden containers/rectangular pots?

Whats swords said, but I am not handy with a saw, I have ordered from a few places but these are the best and cheapest I have found.
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Square-Orchi...ViewItem&pt=Planters_Pots&hash=item2eac0e0ab1

I love them for the neps, just water straight through, no need to worry about flooding the plants.

Hello.... Did you ever find the avicularia versicolor? One of my favorite little Ts.
I always wanted to keep mine in a plant, without a terrarium, as they are incredible docile and beautiful creatures that deserve the best.
Hope your little one is alive and well in your greenhouse :]

Back