What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safe to repot now?

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Would it be unwise to "repot" VFTs this late in the season? I've noticed that the media is compacting too much and I think it has been restricting the growth of the plant as it is sagging a good .5-.75" below the rim of the pot. I was able to do it safely with some other plants but I'm worried about the VFT in particular because I've read the roots are delicate.

I have re-potted Dinoaea at most times of the year, though wouldn't recommend it during dormancy. They should be active through Thanksgiving or thereabouts -- plenty of time to acclimate . . .

I agree with BigBella. I never hesitate to repot a flytrap if I think it would benefit from fresh media. I've repotted every month of the year and it doesn't seem to affect them at all. The only time I won't repot a flytrap is if it's flowering.

Basically, you can repot just about anything. It does depend upon the reason. If you're disturbing roots, it could set a plant back. For some plants it could could kill them (B. liniflora, pygmy sundews). Others you can toss in the air and hit the ground and it won't matter (Mexican butterworts). If it's a matter of giving them a bigger pot, it's best to prepare the new pot with media and femove the entire contents as one unit. Then water to meld the media.

I re-potted all my VFTs this spring, they are doing great. Seems they liked the fresh, new soil.

Back