What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Got my terrarium done..Holding at 77.8 F and 80% humidity

Well Got my terrarium done..it is Holding at 78.5 F and 80% humidity and I am running a timer for the lights at 12 light and 12 dark. if anyone has a better time for the lights let me know.

I added a small fan for circulation and that made all the difference in the world,,The plants look very happy and I am keeping a chart for new growth/ conditions/ and changes.
but all in all they look happy.:boogie::hail::boogie:
DSCN7234.jpg

DSCN7233.jpg

DSCN7229.jpg

That sounds like the absolute best setup in the world for neps and helis if the night temp could drop to at least 64F.....but considering that you are growing a sarracenia in there you might need to bump up the light hours to 14 or so in the summer. sarrs need more light hours during the growing season than neps and other tropicals. (Keep in mind the dormancy for sarrs)

those two hybrid nepenthes will love it in there. Soon you'll have to get a bigger set up for them!

well it is around 67.5 F and 80% humidity.
I just got in and turned on the little fan for a little while,

Well just got up at 6:00 am for work and the inside temp is 63.8 F, I left the corner of the lid off last night, I bet if I keep it closed it wil stay around 64. F...and as to 2 plants on the right they are just taking space till I get my 3 more plants,,

Neps will do fine..
Sarrs will die..

you shouldnt keep sarracenia in a terrarium..its very bad for them.

Scot

I will change that,, Asheville nc...I have 6 sarracenia,,I gess I will keep them outside till it gets to about 30, then what?

I will change that,, Asheville nc...I have 6 sarracenia,,I gess I will keep them outside till it gets to about 30, then what?

Asheville..looks like the border between zone 6 and 7?
generally being that far south, you could just keep them outside year round,
but asheville is perhaps a bit colder than the rest of NC.
but even still, you are probably plenty warm enough for outdoor winter dormancy.

Do you get much (any?) snow?
Do you have many days below freezing?

(I found the ansewer! ;) just doing a quick look at your climate:
http://www.myforecast.com/bin/climate.m?city=24781&metric=false

looks cool in the winter..most nights below freezing in January..
*some* snow..but still somewhat warm overall..
hmmm..you are definately in a "grey area" when it comes to dormancy..
not obviously too cold for outdoor dormancy,
but not totally in the clear either..

Anyone here from the Ashville area who can give RH some specific advice?
going on his climate data, im not totally sure..

Scot

Back