What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple Of Problems w/ Sundew Plant

Ok so I've had my sundew for a couple of months and I'm assuming it's in dormancy due to no feeding. It's been repoted and has adopted nicely to it's surrounding. However, there seems to be other stuff growing around it. The moss I bought from the store wasn't outside and yet I have two different plants growing in the same pot. Also there is a black residue and a white mold like growth on and around the plant. Any suggestions? ??? As far as the mold I went ahead and dipped a q-tip in isopropyl alcohol ans went over the sites of the pot ONLY.

Pictures:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The species you have there is Drosera adelae, and it isn't a species that goes dormant...it is probably just adapting to new conditions. As far as the mold goes, the mold on the leaf is caused by food such as dead bugs molding on the leaf.....the mold on the pot is strange. never seen that before.

I have no luck with this species at all, so I'll let one of the "experts" chime in. ;)

ok, now the black moldy stuff turned white....weird :blush:

You might wait for other replies, but I would cut the affected leaf off from the plant, and then repot it into a clean pot with a 1:1 mix of peat:perlite, or 1:1 peat: silica sand.

Also, carnivorous plants won't go into dormancy due to no feeding, but they will when the season for dormancy comes around, which for most plants is in the winter. A few Australian dews are winter growing, yet dormant in the summer.

Back