What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help id new orchid plz, bonus cp pics included :P

I just bought this orchid at a terrarium fair today.
The seller could not tell me much about it except that it should be perfect for a frog terrarium, needs misting twice a week and likes temperatures between 60f and 110f.
And its supposed to get small white flowers.
I know exact species would be hard to say without flowers but anything at all will be helpful :)
You can click on the pics for much larger size.

Some other stuff to get more ppl in this thread ^^

Nepenthes inermis:

N. spectabilis x aristolochioides:

Drosera sessilifolia:

Last edited by a moderator:
That D. sessilifolia is the cutest Drosera I ever did see!

Can't help with the orchid though, you should wait for chibae or amphirion :p

I'm guessing some kind of Dendrobium, or possibly Bulbophyllum, but im no pro hard to say what it is without a bloom, i do know most bulbs want lots of water , wet wet wet.
I like Bulbophyllum, checkout this monster/ B. rufinum, and no its not mine but i want it.:-O
IMG_4063.jpg

Looks like either a type of Pleurothallid or a Mediocalcar.

well, from what i can tell from my pleurothalids, the flower spike rises from the base of the leaves...this is seen in the genre Pleurothallis, Lepanthes, and Stelis. that orchid seems to have spikes rising from the base of the leaf so im guessing it isn't part of the Pleurothallid alliance.

Ruled out Dendrobium and Bulbophyllum because both have bulbs, this is more of a creeping type orchid. Not to say that those genre dont have representatives that creep but they all have bulbs so that trumphs that notion...

well duh guys! OBVIOUSLY it's a Barbosella species :awesome:
no really, i think it's a Barbosella. what species though, im not talented enough to know that...

I think you are right.
Barbosella flowerstalks seem to come from the same place as on mine:

5425126179_fde94be340_o.jpg

Did some research about availability of Barbosella species in europe and based on that i think its
Barbosella dusenii .

Without flower photo's or something more to narrow the field, it will be a waiting game. There are so many Bulbo's that could be, I don't even want to think about the 30 or so Pleuro's it could be. Unless someone out there is growing this exact species, I think we need flowers!!! Keep and eye on it, I have a few dozen orchids that go from nothing to spike/flower/dead spike withing a few days. And 2-3 that spike/flower/dead spike within 24 hours...

it doesnt have bulbs, that eliminates a lot of stuff if i'm right.
But you are right, until it flowers everything is just a guess.

Back