What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nematodes

Has anyone used beneficial nematodes to feed Utricularia? It is what they eat in nature and I am considering using them. I am going to buy some to get rid of grubs, termites and other naughty insects and am thinking about starting a culture with a few. Any thoughts or experience?

Copper

I say...

Forge ahead and tell us how it goes! I have not researched this or heard of anyone doing it. It sounds like a great idea though, and if you can find the beneficial nematodes then you should try it.

I have found some. I am placing the order today and will dig some grubs for a food source for them. I will keep you all updated on the results.

I have found some. I am placing the order today and will dig some grubs for a food source for them. I will keep you all updated on the results.
Several years ago, I purchased some to kill the Japanese Beetle grubs in our yard. I also planned to take a few extra grubs and 'culture' the nematodes. Bottom line - the grubs stayed perfectly healthy and I got into a fight with the guy who sold them to me.

I hope your nematodes are the real thing ...

Copper,

Were you successful in this? I have found some nematodes in the water washed out from my plants's pods and consider getting a terrestrial Utricularia to control them.

P.S: I am also considering buying Steinernema feltiae species of nematodes to controll the ones I have or maybe
Arthrobotrys conoides species of fungus to do the same.

Last edited:
Seems to me there are much cheaper (aka free) and less labor intensive alternatives like fungus gnats and springtails. If your plants are outdoors congratulations - you've been feeding them fungus gnat larvae and springtails. If not, put them outdoors for a few days each month when weather permits.

Back