What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Ventricosa // N. Sanguinea

Here are some pictures i took from my two 1 1/2 yo neps
Hop you like them :)

First the Ventricosa

N. Sanguinea

Both nep are kept at 80-90% humidity, 19-34Celsius (depends on the amount of sunlights)

Looking good! Seeing your N. ventricosa makes me wonder if mine's sick or something... :)

Looking good! Seeing your N. ventricosa makes me wonder if mine's sick or something... :)

You need to give them more love and by love i mean (humidity) thats what saved mine :) (bough it from a home depot haha)

Haha yeah I wondered the same thing. Mines 5 years old and doesn't look as good as this one. Great looking plant you have there auth..

Your Sang looks great.
Although I'm not so sure that humidity has anything to do with the way the ventricosa looks, my two ventricosas are in great shape and their humidity is always low. I guess my lids don't last as long before they dry out though. Thanks for sharing.

I'm always amazed by a nice looking N. ventricosa, I've grown all sorts of "difficult" Nepenthes species but somehow I've killed every form of N. ventricosa I've tried, Lowes store plants, gift cuttings, trades, nothing they all croak. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've had them in warm humid LL conditions as yours are; dead, I've had them in cold humid HL conditions; dead.... I'm gonna probly give up on trying to grow N. ventricosa. LOL

Awesomeness! Lovely lovely plants

Awesomeness! Lovely lovely plants
Thank you :)

I'm always amazed by a nice looking N. ventricosa, I've grown all sorts of "difficult" Nepenthes species but somehow I've killed every form of N. ventricosa I've tried, Lowes store plants, gift cuttings, trades, nothing they all croak. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've had them in warm humid LL conditions as yours are; dead, I've had them in cold humid HL conditions; dead.... I'm gonna probly give up on trying to grow N. ventricosa. LOL
Well it might be a problem with the growing media? Mine are in 40% Orchids(coco fiber) mix and 60% Dead sphagnum moss. Make sure not to give them too much water, also (you probably did not but) DO NOT USE tap water, at chlorine and other minerals will kill the plant, use water Equivalent to Distilled water <=10 ppm RO (reverse osmosis) Also works great

Your Sang looks great.
Although I'm not so sure that humidity has anything to do with the way the ventricosa looks, my two ventricosas are in great shape and their humidity is always low. I guess my lids don't last as long before they dry out though. Thanks for sharing.
Humidity sure helps keeping the lids healthy longer, in Indonesia and Malaysia humidity levels are high, that's why i keep my level high :)

Well it might be a problem with the growing media? Mine are in 40% Orchids(coco fiber) mix and 60% Dead sphagnum moss. Make sure not to give them too much water, also (you probably did not but) DO NOT USE tap water, at chlorine and other minerals will kill the plant, use water Equivalent to Distilled water <=10 ppm RO (reverse osmosis) Also works great
I've done all the proper things, I've been growing Neps successfully since 2000 in climate controlled grow chambers (took a couple years off when life intervened and I sold my collection). I use R/O water with at least once monthly flushes with distilled. Grow in bark / moss mix or even pure live moss (currently all my highland Neps are in live moss orchid baskets but N. ventricosa didn't like it there any better than in bark/moss in the lowland tank. Seems so ridiculous but N. ventricosa is one of those I can't seem to grow even if I can grow the more exotic stuff like N. bicalcarata, N. rajah, N. hamata, etc. with no problems. Perhaps it's simply a true intermediate that needs something inbetween my Lowland or Highland grow chambers...

nice neps

Back