What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SASE Halloween Sarracenia Seed Giveaway

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
I've collected a bunch of seed over the past few days. Some open pollinated and some selected. I will send packs of 25-50 seeds to folks interested in growing Sarracenia from seed. This is not first come first serve. If you are new to growing Sarracenia from seed, I don't care. To each person requesting seed please give a quick explanation of your methods of growing from seed. It is fun and rewarding with the proper techniques.

If you do not provide seed propagation techniques with your reply I will not send you seed. If you are selected and I send you seed my only request is that you post photos of their progress. This thread closes on Halloween at midnight. I will randomly select 5 members that have been on terraforums for at least one year. They will be sent seed upon receiving SASE following Halloween night. Seed propagation technique statement(s) required. Please keep your seed propagation techniques concise.

Last edited:
I'd love to try some:).

Growing technique-

1. Stratify in the fridge for 4-6 weeks in a damp paper towel after spraying with fungicide
2. Sow onto LFS or/and sand and peat, spray with more fungicide
3. Bag them in a ziploc bag and put them in my mini gh.

I love and try them all of your seeds.

My technic:
1. prepare the moss wet (rain water) with a little liquid anti-fungal, in a plastic container trnasparan. seedlings seeds in it, put the container in the refrigerator the bottom for 21 days.
2. Check the water content of moss once every 3 days, to keep it wet, if less water, spray with water from rain water.
3. Remove the plastic container, place it outside, under the auspices of the transparent or shade trees, cultivated every morning soaked by the morning sun.

Honestly I have never been successful at growing sarrs from seed yet. I plan to place a prepped pot of peat in my circ bog. Sew half the seeds and let mother nature handle the rest.

The other half I will sew in a small pot of peat. Treat with physan 20. Place on fridge for 4 weeks and them move to GH.

I'm really not picky as to the seeds but if i am given a choice. I would not Choose crosses with purp or pst in the background. I like tall upright pitchers. Prefferabbly leuco or flava in the parentage.

i have quite a lot of success in germinating and growing sarracenia, as i found out its quite fun to raise them up from seeds

if i having freshly harvested seeds, i can sow them directly on the media that i prepare with them, which is 50%sphagnum moss and 50%perlite
if the seeds are 2-3weeks, then i will give them a cold scarification, using tissue paper, with water, then put them in a ziplock bag complete with labeling.

After a month, i will move them outside and wait for the seeds to germinate by themselves in tissue paper, under warm but not hot condition. Germination usually occur after 1week or lesser

Hopefully this will help you =)

OOPs I should have mentioned this is US only. Sorry.

Seeds

I am D muscipula's mom ,
He went to his first term of college (Horticulture) this morning and left the page open. He has given two lectures at garden clubs and One at Mc Claren for their horticulture program. He has started Nepenthe and fly traps from seed, so I am sure he has a good technic, I am just not sure what it is. He lights up like a firework when he talks about carnivorous plants. He is also a photographer so I am sure he will record their growth. I think it would be a cool surprise, since I am responsible for buying the first flytrap when he was 9yr, pert near ten years ago. He just keeps stoking the fire.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
D's mom AKA: Tina

1) Put seeds in a crafts bag with purified water, in the butter keeper for ~6 weeks
2) place in pots of LFS, slightly moist, covered, in the terrarium
3) Ignore for at least a week

S. minor, homegrown:

100_8899.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to try seeds. I had a few seeds last year from a Scarlet Belle hybrid planted in pots with peat/LFS and the raccoons got into the pond and knocked the pots into the pond...I was sick. That was my only experience with sarrs seeds, but I did get several Darlingtonia seedlings this year in LFS I left outside all winter.

I am fortunate to live where nature does the stratification for me. I want to try some sarr seeds in my bog garden (which the raccoons do not bother).

The bog is a mix of peat/sand/perlite, 8' x10', 18" to 24" deep, 10 hours of direct sun in summer.

Link to pictures of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/sets/72157627927265210/detail/

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Oops, just re-read the rules and I only became a member recently this year...darn!

just reread the rules and realized I couldn't be in...

Last edited:
I'd absolutely love to try too!

1) I fill 2" pots with 1:1 peat moss:perlite
2) I soak seeds in a small dish of dH2O with a touch (TOUCH) of dish detergent, in the refrigerator overnight.
3) I put the pot in a dish of water until the media is moist.
4) I strain the water out of the dish containing the seeds and spread the seeds onto the soil
5) I spray the pots down with a water/sulfur solution.
6) I place the pots in a ziploc bag with dH2O in the refrigeratoir for two weeks.
7) I remove the bags from the pots and place them under lights. :D

Thread closed. I've pmed those regarding seed. Thanks.

Vic

Back