What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predator Issues

Hi, I bought a nep x Predator last summer from exotica. At first the plant did all the usual for a new plant in my greenhouse. Slow growth a few funky leaves etc.. Then the winter hit and temperatures came down. The plant has stopped growing completely, but dosnt appear to be dieing. Now spring is here and Ive been heating the greenhouse up quite a bit but the plant hasnt snapped out of it. I live in oregon and even during winter I heat the greenhouse to 70 during the day and 60 at nite. Any advice towards what I can do to snap the plant out of it?

Is this an outdoor GH? If so.. the short light cycles may have a lot to do with it.

Yes, also a couple of times I have bought plants straight off the boat they seem to go into shock no matter what I do. They just stop for varying amount of time then one day they start up again and are fine from then on. I naturally have quite high humidity in there so I dont know what more I can do.

Agree with mass. My question is why heat the greenhouse to 60 at night? 50 would be just fine and save you money.

In the process of heating up your GH, are you insuring that your humidity doesn't go down? Generally adding a heater to your GH will reduce your humidity and this could be causing a stall in the growth of your predator.

I have been monitoring the humidity with the heater. The lowest ive seen it go is 60% and its usually more like 70 to 80 percent. I agree that it definetly could have something to do with the short and weak photoperiod. But all of the other plants are doing fine with the same conditions. I have had to wait quite awhile for plants out of naturally tropical areas to acclimate to my conditions in the past. Im just a bit more nervous with this one because of the cost and rarity.

It does sound like low light, but you may want to try rebagging to reacclaimate it to your environment. I grow my N. xPredator and other nepenthes in lower humidity but I usually have to bag my plants or they will go into immediate funk for a while if they were not hardened off before I got them.

I have noticed most nepenthes do not like going through extreme changes but can adjust if done so gradually. Bagging them and letting them adjust gradually seems to be quicker than waiting for them to recover on thier own.

It might also be possible that it is a root thing going on. Perhaps the roots never quite took to your soil and then with the changes in temperature it may have lost a fair amount of roots and will need time to grow more.

The short photoperiod could very well be the culprit though. Remember, all plants are different. :p

You just never know. The fact that the rest of my plants love my conditions will always be frustrating when just one does not.

Yeah I was think about the root system issue and watered it yesterday with some superthrive. Im also going to try the bag trick again. Im thinking of trieing some kiki grow on the dormant leaf nodes. Hopefully something will help. Hate to loose such a nice plant.

Back