What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

song of melancholy care?

i recently got a young N. 'song of melancholy'. i grew it in my terrarium through the winter. during that time it didn't set out any new leaves or grow at all. since the weather has turned warm where i live i have set it outside to take advantage of the night/day temperature changes, which i cant replicate in my terrarium, and a new leaf has finally started to emerge. during the time i've had it the plant has been so melancholy (pun!!!!:-))) and none of the traps have matured. can anyone give me any tips on the proper care of this variety? i live in temperate eastern north carolina. i don't have any experience growing highland species and the reaction of my N. 'song of melancholy' to temperature fluctuations leads me to think it acts like one. i'd appreciate any responses on this topic. your help, opinions, or critizims will all be greatly appreciated.

It's supposedly some sort of veitchii/boschiana/spectabilis cross or something like that (parents unknown) which all appreciate something like 75/80 by day and maybe 60/65 by night because they're all intermediates to highlanders, so I'd give it a little temp drop at night. Mine grows on my balcony and if it gets chillier temps than that it doesn't want to grow.

Mine gets consistent temps of 52-60F nights and days ranging from 70F to brief periods up to 85F and it has tripled in size in the six months I have had it. It has been a very easy plant for me in these conditions.

Back