What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, a couple of days ago we went to the state's capital, Xalapa, and in a flower expo I saw some really nice CP's, (actually I bought a D. capensis, D. burmanii and D. madagascariensis)...
There were other, like VFT's, like 2 or 3 Nepenthes and a couple Sarracenias... God, they were gorgeous...
The thing is that my sister bought me 2 after I went to see something else (ain't she nice? :D )...
Of course, she did it not knowing that the our city's climate is not the best for this species...

Any suggestions to keep them happy at least?
At least spring will start in a couple of weeks... I don't have to worry about hibernation for now (which I'm sure, will require my fridge)...
I'm sure that they'll require watering with cold water...
And then...?

Oh, I live in Veracruz, about 30-38 °C in Spring with quite some humidity...
Some pics:
S. flava
DSC03346.JPG

I think S. purpurea... I assume it's the inmature form of the pitchers...
DSC03345.JPG

Along with actually being able to enjoy the heat,
you will need to give them lots of humidity & water,
or indeed they may cook.
Dry heat is a killer to them, but humid heat seems to be fine for them.

If the sun burns them, add some mid-day shading (hottest time).
Otherwise you should be good to go...
until they need to go into the refrig'.

(Good luck trying to humidify a dry, outdoor environment. It can be a challenge.)
I suggested shaded "cold frames" with inside fountains or humidificarion (solar run)
in a past post. But that is a big project for just one plant.

:water:

Well, I don't think low humidity will be an issue...
43% at 2 pm is ok?
It will go up in spring and summer...

I wouldn't worry so much about humidity. Give them full sun, water them often, and provide proper soil. If the daily high gets over 43C (110F or so) you may want to move them to a shadier location.

Read up as much as you can on fridge dormancy.

Good luck!

I wouldn't worry so much about humidity. Give them full sun, water them often
BTW, cold water or room temp. water?

and provide proper soil
Around 30% perlite, 70% peat...

If the daily high gets over 43C (110F or so) you may want to move them to a shadier location.
Well, once or twice a year we may go up to 50°C... God bless air conditioners, though...

Read up as much as you can on fridge dormancy.
OK!

Good luck!
Thanks... BTW, I love ur Avatar...
One of my fav. cards in the game...

BTW, cold water or room temp. water?

Well, in the summer I top water using water stored in jugs that are kept indoors (AC is usually on) in a closed, dark closet. So when I water, the water is nice and cool. Using cool water can't hurt, especially in the summer heat.

Around 30% perlite, 70% peat...

Sounds good to me. :-O

Well, once or twice a year we may go up to 50°C... God bless air conditioners, though...

Yeah, same here. I'm in the Mojave, but the Sarrs do well in full sun most of the year. During extreme heat waves in summer I may move them to partial shade. Again though, watering is key!

Thanks... BTW, I love ur Avatar...
One of my fav. cards in the game...

Thanks! I love the artwork. :awesome:

Back