What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange hard build up in pots

Hello!

Some of my indoor Drosera have a build up at the top and mostly edges of the pots.

The peat turns black & hard. That is all. :p I don't know why, or if it affects the plants, but I just don't understand what the build up is.

It is only happening with the new pots I got, and with some of the other tall black pots. When i top water it, it seems to loosen up.

Anyway, does this happen to anyone else? Does it effect your plants?

Thanks!

Maybe it's dried algae?

Yeah, I get this stuff too. That is why I try to encourage moss growth.

It is probably dissolved minerals that recrystallized on the pot edges. I got some bad Canadian sphagnum peat a couple years ago and had the same problem that you describe. I put some of the deposit on my tongue and it tasted like mineral salts. Some folks suggest washing their peat several times to avoid such problems.

I have seen some that was hard, crusty and relatively insoluble. Was thinking was organic sulfur compounds or iron oxides. need to look at them better.

It is probably dissolved minerals that recrystallized on the pot edges. I got some bad Canadian sphagnum peat a couple years ago and had the same problem that you describe. I put some of the deposit on my tongue and it tasted like mineral salts. Some folks suggest washing their peat several times to avoid such problems.

I am one of those who advocate "washing" the peat before you use it. Last year I planted a big "bog pot" and forgot to wash the peat before making up the mix (sand and peat) and after a few weeks, sure enough salt deposits began building on the rim of the pot! You would be shocked to discover how much salts are sometimes present in those big bales-O-peat. Always wash the peat before using it, to be sure.

Soak the peat overnight in a generous amount of CLEAN water (not from the tap). The next day, squeeze as much of the water out of it as you possibly can. Some people wash twice, but I have found once is good enough.

What brand of peat do you use?

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back