What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flower stalk help

I recently purchased 5 large Sarracenia from Meadowview. They were all in great condition and were very healthy. They all had long flower stalks that had almost mature buds. As usual, the scapes bended in response to being in a small bag. I planted them in my bog and figured they would become erect once more. After a few days nothing had happened so I propped them up with small twigs. This method soon failed because of the heavy winds in NJ at this time. What can I do to keep them up?

The only thing you can really do is, prop them up somehow. I've never had bent flower stalks become completely erect again. There's always next year.

Hi nepenthes99

Did you get them bare rooted? If you did it is entirely possible that the plant is busy trying to reestablish its root systems so may not be able to keep pace with the relatively large energy requirements of a flower. If they dont show any signs of picking up, I would be tempted to cut them off so the plants energies can be redirected to where it is better used this year.

As Cthulhu says there is always next year when the plant will be strong enough to look after itself better.

Cheers
Steve

Have you seen growth in the form of leaves? Or are they latecoming as well?
I wonder if something was damaged in transit.

Good to hear you're satisfied with the plants.

You could stake them up like people do with orchid flowers. I'd use bamboo spears, as they're incredibly strong, with floral wire. Make sure the spears go into the ground a good bit.

Thank you for the replies, the plants came bare rooted and I have not seen any growth of phyllodia so far. They are growing well, so I doubt they are in much shock.

You're not going to see any phyllodia for a while. Which plants did you order? We ship the same day we process the orders, so shipping shock should be almost non-existant.

Back