What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New P. Gigantea mini-wall, A chip off the old block

Some of you may be familiar with this thread.

It didn't work evenly, and I only have one large plant right now :headwall:

So I decided to try something a little different.

Not that the ping wasn't doing well on that other wall:

DSCN0359.JPG

Anyway, I cut the plant off and installed it in a holder I made from scrap (I mean scrap) wood. Gives it a homely feel:

DSCN0034.JPG

DSCN0035.JPG

DSCN0036.JPG

DSCN0037.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

It certainly dries out faster than the bottom row of the wall, but that's to be expected since it's smaller. I guess there is no "magical" way to grow these guys. I was hoping for something automatic that would grow a ton of plants. But I don't have the plants...

I still have the wall. Part of my plan is to take sections out of it, and that would let water build up on every level. So it I get a lot of plants, I will have a very odd looking wall...with 6 sections missing, and plants growing from the tops of the sections before. I'm taking pullings left and right to try and figure out the best media to use. So far the plantlets on vermiculite are doing the best. So I'll raise them to working age on that from now on.

Time for bed ;)

Last edited:
This is working VERY well, I have 6 more plants, 3 more clones to pot up. I was reading on the World of Pinguicula website about substrates: http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/culture/substrates.htm

And Jeff's media advice:

cat litier 50 % ( no parfumed) or calcareous loam
river sand 12.5%
pouzzolane 12.5 %
vermiculite or perlite 12.5%
calcareous sand 12.5%

While slight modification I used this substrate for the plant in the previous post and its doing well:

Cat litter-4-5 parts
Silica Sand-1 part
Vemiculite- 1 part
Perlite- 2 parts
Decomposing Granite- 1 part

Anyway, I will use a new substrate, and since perlite and vermiculite are basically interchangeable, maybe better drainage with perlite, and not as fast a breakdown (but they are basically interchangeable to me right now) I will use the following media for the six plants

1 part cat litter
1 part vermiculite
1 part coarse sand
1 part lava rock

This is similar to WoP's main media recipe of:
2 perlite
2 vermiculite
1 small sand (for aquarium), 1 fine white sand
1 pouzzolane (volcanic lava)
1 aqualit (expansed ceramic for aquarium). The aqualit can be replaced by 1 of pouzzolane.
Which can be distilled to:

1 Perlite
1 Vermiculite
1 Sand
1 Lava

But since the pings like calcareous mixture I will use cat litter. My main problem is weather to use perlite or vermiculite. I would rather go perlite, but I have much more vermiculite...I should find a use for it. SO. New media is:

1 part Cat Litter
1 part Vermiculite
1 part Coarse Sand
1 part Lava rock

The rockwool around the ping will provide some additional moisture, so media mix should be light. Hopefully this was achieved. I will let you know how the plants do!

Very nice! Love to see new projects :)

Looks good SDCP's! Does it hang, or do you just sit it down like you have it?

They're gonna hang. I have 6 more now that I'm adjusting to the light thanks to an influx of new plants from a friend.

Here is my new media mix:

DSCN0126.JPG

And the new enclosures:

DSCN0128.JPG

Now just waiting for plants:

DSCN0130.JPG

Planted!, cuttings taken.

DSCN0133.JPG

Hiding from the sun for awhile with my first p. gigantea out in front.

DSCN0150.JPG

Very nice SDCP's. P. gigantea pullings grow very fast, and can have a 4" plant in less than a year.

Very nice SDCP's. P. gigantea pullings grow very fast, and can have a 4" plant in less than a year.

Those plants were from a friend, but yes, I have plants from cuttings and they're doing well.

Here they are growing in Time-lapse! Time to put the plants in more sun now. They're ready for it.

Thanks 31drew31! I just hung the plants on the roof! Can't wait to get pics :D

I have to say, that is crazy cool! :hail:

Back