What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli Help!!

• Thread starter tje25
  • Start date

tje25

Plant Addict!!
Hello everyone!!

I just received my very first heli!! Unfortunetly I think it may have been in the shipping box too long, because when I opened it up today all I could see is brown...

There is just a hint of green left in it. Does anyone think that this plant will make it??
Here are some pics of it;

DSC03612.jpg

DSC03613.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

Thanks in advance for the opinions

yes. it can. keep well watered though. fresh helis, especially those imported need lots of water as they lose much of it during their transport. bagging is great. i'd say you have about a 45-55% chance of it coming through---then again, i could be playing mr. optimist.

the growth tip/point is the one green healthy part so id say it has a fighting chance! if those brown pitchers are necrotic/dead tissue, id remove them to avoid harboring pathogens that may spread to the healthy part.

positive vibes goin to ur lil heli trooper.

It might? The bottoms of those brown pitchers look toast, but if the whole of that one decent looking one is white towards the bottom where the root is, then it might survive just fine. Toss some live sphag around it though... somehow that's a miracle-cure for them.

Thanks everyone!! Ill get that dead stuff chopped off asap!

Thanks everyone!! Ill get that dead stuff chopped off asap!

Honestly I wouldn't disturb it that much. I was always afraid to chop off dead pitchers for fear of breaking lives ones or hurting the... rhizome? is that the right word Butch or Bigbella or a Heli expert? Where are y'alls!

I would just chop off the brown stuff near the base but not disturb the base. Like everyone else said, just keep it moist but not overly wet as to prevent rot. Um.... just keep your eye on it, its going to be a while before it recovers.

You paid MONEY for that? I'd be contacting the seller and pursuing a refund if I got that sad little fragment shipped to me.

If you've got it, soak it in trichoderma overnight to ensure no pathogens take hold while it's in this state.

Thanks Heli!

You paid MONEY for that? I'd be contacting the seller and pursuing a refund if I got that sad little fragment shipped to me.

Well the only money I payed for it was to ship it... I won it in a giveaway here recently. So I cant complain about it....just hope it pulls threw :)

If you've got it, soak it in trichoderma overnight to ensure no pathogens take hold while it's in this state.

No trich soak...but I did give it some of my ZHO it has some trichs in it...

Oh and it's probably going to abort its current root system so keep the plant deep in the lfs.

Oh and it's probably going to abort its current root system so keep the plant deep in the lfs.

will do! I just cut off all the dead stuff and piled some more lfs aound it. Thanks again:)

mostly excellent advice IMHO, not really anything else to add
I give it even odds....

keep it cool, keep in bright light, trich if you have it, keep it bagged and be patient.

dunno about the aborting root comment, need to ponder on that one hehehehe
(gotta tease Luca when the opportunity arises) :p

Av

Thanks Butch!! I agree :) teasing Luca sure is fun isnt it :p

dunno about the aborting root comment, need to ponder on that one hehehehe
(gotta tease Luca when the opportunity arises) :p

Av
Sheesh.. :p

I just said that because in the past when i got helis they would start forming new roots even if it has roots and pretty much drop the old roots.

of course they grew new roots :p

abort abort abort!!!!!

Back