What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Butterwort is Best for Me?

I am looking for a butterwort that meets a few requirements. I haven't kept CPs since I was a kid so please guide me in the right direction.

I would like something that does not go dormant.
I prefer something that can be grown by the light of a window (however I can supply a lamp if needed).
I would like the plant to catch fruit flies and other small flies that get inside my old drafty house (so it would be great if the plant didn't need a dome over it).
My house is around 73F to 77F, so a plant that fits that temp range.
It would be great if the plant was common and readily available.
Since I am haven't kept any CPs for a long time, I prefer a plant that has easy care.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Is there a plant that fits my needs?
Also, I've read that some grow on rocks, is that easy to do?
Thank you for any suggestions!
:D

Temperate pings go dormant. Some Mexican pings will reduce themselves to bulbs, but others will change into an noncarnivorous succulent during the winter, so technically they do not go dormant. Try a morenensis for starters. They get relatively large-- can be grown on rocks, and attractive flowers

I would agree with amphirion that a Mexican Pinguicula is probably they way to go. I prefer Pinguicula agnata over morenensis for window growing, but both are tough and resilient, and are great beginners plants.

I may just been lucky with P. primuliflora, which I believe is supposed to have a dormancy, but I have to say it was cheap propagates easily and has acted more like a tropical for me in growth habit. It's not super gorgeous, but it is handsome in it own way, and it gobbles up my fruit flies and fungus gnats.

I may just been lucky with P. primuliflora, which I believe is supposed to have a dormancy, but I have to say it was cheap propagates easily and has acted more like a tropical for me in growth habit. It's not super gorgeous, but it is handsome in it own way, and it gobbles up my fruit flies and fungus gnats.

I have to second that. Pinguicula primuliflora is either very, very easy to grow, or I've been extremely fortunate. Possibly both. It also does propagate rapidly if you grow it right and looks good in a unique way. Definitely it snatches up all the fruit flies and gnats around.

I have the same P. moctezumae that was one of the first CP's I purchased just over 3 years ago...I've barely given it any attention other than some repotting and has also divided on its own. Probably a better bug catcher than most "rosette" species because of how the leaves grow.

P.primuliflora, definitely. They are native to Florida, so they will do great in your relatively high temps. They can also handle slightly lower light than most varieties and are great for windowsills if you keep their media moist. P.primulaflora does slow down in cold conditions, but does not require any kind of dormancy. They will grow (and flower) year-round indoors.

P. primuliflora is commonly found at big box stores in the infamous "death cubes". I would advise against getting one of those, since all of the P. primulaflora I have "resuced" from big box stores seem to have some kind of fungus that makes them collapse in like a week. They are easily available from most dedicated carnivorous plant nurseries and you will get much healthier plant material this way.

Back