What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

some questions on arrivals

Edit: problems solved, see post below

Hi all, I recently did an order and now I have some questions.
I ordered six plants (5neps and 1 sarr psittacina). 2 of them arrived well but the other 4 were replaced by 6 replacement plants. Normally it's a good deal, but the sarr was a hybrid (unnamed) and the neps were 3 ventricosa hybrids (I have plenty of them by now) , one rafflesiana (very happy with this one) and one sibuyanensis without growth tip. I'm not very used to ordering plants, but my question: is it normal for an online shop to replace their plants just like that?
As I don't have much room left I prefer plants that interest me and now I have plenty of plants but still want those I ordered, for example sibuyanensis x merrilliana. I'm not mad though because the two plants I did receive make me happy all the time:banana2:

Now my more important questions: this sibuyanensis, has it a chance to survive? It's under a plastic bag now, no direct sunlight. It's a very small plant though...
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w609/belgenthessp/DSC_0082800x531_zps4fe9d080.jpg

Third question: Can anyone ID this Sarr? The only thing I know is it is not psittacina ;)
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w609/belgenthessp/DSC_0084-kopie640x425_zps88cd02f4.jpg
http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w609/belgenthessp/DSC_0083-kopie640x425_zps7b947e85.jpg
Thanks for answering :)

Last edited:
The sibuyanensis may pull through but, I find the species to be tricky and somewhat sensitive (at least the clone I had) anyway.

The Sarracenia looks to be x mitchelliana (leucophylla x purpurea) but there's no way to be 100% sure without documentation.

Were these plants purchased from a supposedly reputable grower ?

No, I don't think so, it's an internet shop with nice prices but there aren't much reviews to find.
Thanks for the ID, I'll look that one up.
On the sibuyanensis, do you suggest cutting the new tendrils? There seems one that is going to pitcher, does it cost more to the plant to pitcher than being cut off a tendril?

I wouldn't cut the tendrils. Just leave the plant alone for a while and let it try to recover.

No, its not normal. The nursery have to send you your exact order, or they have to ask you before any changes.

Ask the nursery for a refund or else, or open an issue with paypal. They will protect you.

Ok good to know it isn't normal. For this time, I'm not going to send him another mail (they didn't answer my friendly mail after the order asking if something went wrong) I sure will love these plants rapidly. Also their site has changed 2 weeks after my order and the plants they didn't send aren't offered anymore. These plants are just sold out. Payment wasn't with PayPal, just bank account transfer.
I'm gonna leave it like it is (can't do much), the order is replaced with more plant value than ordered, but like you say Maiden: they didn't ask anything so I'm not ordering from them again. It's like you guys say on the forum, buy from a reputable seller and pay a bit more perhaps for a good service.

For the sibuyanensis, I'll leave it this way and take some pictures if it forms a new growth point :)
Any second thoughts on that Sarracenia?

I second the S. x mitchelliana, but again it's incredibly difficult to be certain unless you hear directly from the breeder.

I would definitely consider sending a less-than-nice email because, despite the fact that they sent replacements, they
(1) charged you for an order you placed in good faith about their advertising/availability and then sent basically a completely different order altogether
(2) did not notify or contact you of any changes in your order
(3) sent you a "broken" plant... if you had ordered a car and it came without wheels or brakes, that's essentially the same issue. If they advertise a healthy, undamaged plant, they should send you one. It shouldn't be your responsibility to stress out about keeping their poorly grown/shipped plant alive.

You have every reason to expect better treatment. Oftentimes, a reputable nursery would just let you keep the plants and still issue a refund. They should care about receiving your continued business; overall CP nuts are a rare breed and they need to keep every one they can get their hands on. If your feedback isn't meaningful enough to them they'll just assume they can get away with such a low standard, and they'll turn right around and screw the next person who orders. If you do have further contact with them, make sure to keep everything in writing and be wary of trying to settle things over the phone.

Thanks for the answer, I feel more confident now that it isn't me being too difficult or something. I sent them an email ten days ago in which I started to thank for the order, then proceeding with 'some questions I have'. I explained the problem like I did here and asked if that was due to some kind of problem or mistake. I also asked to ID the Sarracenia. I included the 3 pictures in the mail and ended with a 'most sincerely' and such... The only thing I could do now is waiting a week and then sending a less-then-nice email.
They will not answer, appearantly they don't spend in communication with their custormers. A refund isn't easy because the plants I ordered are sold out. Thanks on the answers everyone and Sarr ID. If I do receive an answer, I'll write it down so there won't be any misconceptions.

If you want, pm me the exact place where you got your plants. I know many eu/us nursery owners, maybe i can help you with all this.

Thanks for the answer, I feel more confident now that it isn't me being too difficult or something. I sent them an email ten days ago in which I started to thank for the order, then proceeding with 'some questions I have'. I explained the problem like I did here and asked if that was due to some kind of problem or mistake. I also asked to ID the Sarracenia. I included the 3 pictures in the mail and ended with a 'most sincerely' and such... The only thing I could do now is waiting a week and then sending a less-then-nice email.
They will not answer, appearantly they don't spend in communication with their custormers. A refund isn't easy because the plants I ordered are sold out. Thanks on the answers everyone and Sarr ID. If I do receive an answer, I'll write it down so there won't be any misconceptions.

I hope you get your refund. This is definitely not normal for an established nursery.

I got answers from the shop.
The Sarr is a x eva
The owner contacted me and we are searching for a solution.
Thanks everyone for the info, if I didn't send that last mail I wouldn't have received an answer I think.

Back