What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good stem growth product?

I'm looking for a cream, powder, paste, etc, for shoot growth. does anyone know of any? i want to use it to propagate nepenthes but all i can find is rooting hormones.

Thanks in advance!
Gexx

Hey Gexx, it's a bit of a cliche to mention the product but if you mix up a drop or two of Superthrive into a 1 liter plant mister / spray bottle of reverse osmosis water and mist it on the vine it seems to stimulate shoot growth.

It worked for me when my beheaded N. alata refused to send up any new shoots for a number of months despite great conditions and ferts, once I began misting the stem with the Superthrive / RO solution a good number of them activated. Nepenthes101 used to mist his to stimulate the dormant nodes along the stem to create trade material quickly.

Note: Superthrive is a hormone and not a fertilizer, it is not a fertilizer, it's not a fertilizer. Get a good gentle fertilizer with all macro and micro elements for overall best plant growth and bulkiing them up on nutes before propagation so your cuttings will be strong, provided your temps, light and humidity are all in acceptable parameters. I myself use Urea Free Grow More 30-20-30 for the past decade or so but there are likely plenty of brands which would be suitable.

thats exactly it! thanks Kulamauiman!

ill try the superthrive, but i thought that was B vitamins, not hormones?

thats exactly it! thanks Kulamauiman!

ill try the superthrive, but i thought that was B vitamins, not hormones?

Nope, it also contains auxins.

I have used keiki paste. A few months ago I bought a very small vial off ebay for under $5. It works pretty well, roughly 80% of the tested plants formed basals. It took a while, over a month before the first shoots began to appear. Also, a little goes a long way, so unless you are planning to use it on a large scale, a tiny container is all you need. Hope that helps.

Just bought some on ebay! thanks everybody!

Speaking of keiki's, I saw on the other day on a Phalenopsis. Had not seen that before.

Back